Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Water to Grain Ratio  (Read 11128 times)

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
Re: Water to Grain Ratio
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2010, 08:28:45 am »
Kai, how would you suggest adding mineral salts if more than one sparge is used?  I would think the amount of mineral salts needed would go up?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2010, 09:28:54 am »
But if 1:1 mashes work for you better than 1.5:1 or 2:1  you may as well just stick with it. There is no dogma with respect to the mash thickness that you should use.

Kai

This^^^^^^
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 12:15:00 pm »
I went to a 1.6qt ratio back in 2008 since it fits in well with my batch-sparging system. Noticed the brews ended up fermenting and tasting better with a more pleasing and thinner mouthfeel in the finished product.

Average efficiency went up a couple points too.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline mtbrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2010, 01:39:20 pm »
I use whatever I can get away with, depending on how big grain bill is. 1.75/qt. to pound is sure nice to stir, but some times it's 1.1  I really haven't seen a difference in the final product. To each their own.

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2010, 02:31:58 pm »
I try and keep it b/w 1.25 to 1.5 qts. and can't say I've noticed a difference.  My water's pH is ~7-8.
"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197

Offline bspisak

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2010, 05:19:41 pm »

I've heard that using a thinner mash benefits lighter lagers in that you don't have to sparge as much and thus minimize extraction of tannins. (Although that only works if fly sparging.)  Anyone have any experience here?

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2010, 05:31:50 pm »
Whatever it takes to prevent a stuck sparge.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee