General Category > Beer Recipes

double batch

(1/4) > >>

andrew000141:
my next beer i want to make is a barleywine. as of right now i can only do 3 gal batches but i want more than that so i was thinking of doing 2 separate batches and mixing them together to get 6 gallons. i was wondering if should i overpitch the first then throw in the second a few days later or pitch both a normal size and then mix? are there any issues with doing this i should be aware of? the 2 batches would be identical (probably just marris otter, some c-120 and c-60, ekg and fuggles).

hokerer:

--- Quote from: andrew000141 on January 11, 2013, 11:58:13 PM ---my next beer i want to make is a barleywine. as of right now i can only do 3 gal batches but i want more than that so i was thinking of doing 2 separate batches and mixing them together to get 6 gallons.
--- End quote ---

At what point does your 3-gallon limitation come into play?

Can you boil more that a 3-gallon batch?  can you ferment more than a 3-gallon batch?  can you bottle more than a 3-gallon batch?  Where in the process your limitation kicks in will determine your best options.

andrew000141:
i only have a 5 gallon kettle and a horrible electric kitchen stove, i can ferment and bottle more than that

tygo:
If you can mash the whole batch run the total wort volume off into a couple of carboys and boil it in batches.  Blend it together and pitch.

But to answer your original question, if you're planning on doing them a little bit apart, I would pitch the correct amount of yeast for the whole batch into the first one.  You probably want to get the second one in there before a couple days though.

majorvices:
Pitch in after the first batch assuming you can run the second batch in below 70 degrees. The worse thing you can do on a barley wine is ferment warm. Try to keep the temps in the mid 60s if at all possible.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version