Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belgian Pale Ale Malt vs. Maris Otter??  (Read 5191 times)

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
Belgian Pale Ale Malt vs. Maris Otter??
« on: January 10, 2013, 09:48:40 pm »
Just curious on what you guys think are the differences(if any)?  I found this article where the late Dr. George Fix made it seem like they were somewhat interchangeable.http://morebeer.com/brewingtechniques/library/backissues/issue1.1/fix.html  I can buy sacks of MO at my LHBS but they sell Belgian Pale Ale malt only by the pound (at almost double the price). Your thoughts?

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
Re: Belgian Pale Ale Malt vs. Maris Otter??
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 05:43:03 pm »
C'mon....someone must have some experience or an opinion ;)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 08:07:26 pm »
I don't think they taste indistinguishable. MO has a biscuity character that is more pronounced than what I get in Belgian pale malts. I wouldn't use Belgian pale malt if I was trying to make a really traditional British style beer although I suppose you could supplement with a little biscuit malt. I would be ok using MO for Belgian trappist/abbey styles but I don't want that biscuit character in Belgian farmhouse ales. I wouldn't use either in American or German beers, not that a lot of German styles employ pale malt.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 10:12:11 pm »
Just curious on what you guys think are the differences(if any)?  I found this article where the late Dr. George Fix made it seem like they were somewhat interchangeable.http://morebeer.com/brewingtechniques/library/backissues/issue1.1/fix.html  I can buy sacks of MO at my LHBS but they sell Belgian Pale Ale malt only by the pound (at almost double the price). Your thoughts?

That article is about 20 years old. He talks of DeWolf-Cosyns malts, which have been closed for about 10 years or so. I don't know if anything by Castle maltings is similar.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 10:39:29 am »

That article is about 20 years old. He talks of DeWolf-Cosyns malts, which have been closed for about 10 years or so. I don't know if anything by Castle maltings is similar.

Yeah, as great a resource as BT _was_, there have been so many changes in the last 15 years that you have to be sure you aren't following outdated info.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell