General Category > Equipment and Software

propane vs natural gas

<< < (2/5) > >>

kramerog:

--- Quote from: tschmidlin on January 14, 2013, 02:47:18 PM ---
--- Quote from: kramerog on January 14, 2013, 02:33:51 PM ---The pictures aren't from the right perspective for me to tell if you have a natural gas or a propane burner.  The air orifices shown in the pictures are the same size for natural gas and propane.  Take a picture down the burner tip so I can see the size of the gas orifice relative to the burner tip.

--- End quote ---
I tried a few perspectives, but guess I missed the important one :)  I'll try to get you the picture you want.

What if I said it burns orange no matter how low the propane is turned?

--- End quote ---

If the entire flame is orange than it is a natural gas burner.  If only the tip of the flame is orange than it probably is propane.  Still a picture would be helpful to confirm. 

tschmidlin:
Here is the pic I think you want.

It is full orange, all of the time, even when turned really low.  If it is a propane burner, it needs better air flow for sure.  Let me know what other pics would be useful - there are no other air inlets other than at the base of the nozzles.

euge:
That looks exactly like the smaller of my jet-burners. Natural gas no regulator.

Though I must say that this unit looks very used and with an interesting patina. Exposed to the elements so to speak.

punatic:

--- Quote from: euge on January 15, 2013, 12:53:21 AM ---Though I must say that this unit looks very used and with an interesting patina. Exposed to the elements so to speak.

--- End quote ---

+1  I was thinking they look like the video feed from an ROV diving on the Titanic.   :o

These are natural gas jets.

kramerog:
That is exactly the photo I was looking for.  I'm going to look at my natural gas and propane ring burners this evening if I remember.  Without directly comparing to my burners, I thing these are propane burners.

Normally, these types of burners burn yellow and orange when on low and only turn blue at the optimal flowrate.  Any kind of non-optimal conditions tend to make these burners burn blue-orange IME such as not enough spacing above and below and proper ventilation.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version