General Category > Equipment and Software

Conical Fermenter

<< < (2/3) > >>

travjohn92:

--- Quote from: a10t2 on January 14, 2013, 06:20:27 PM ---
--- Quote from: travjohn92 on January 14, 2013, 06:13:09 PM ---Where would I hook the CO2 to if I wanted to push it with CO2?
--- End quote ---

Some sort of top port; either a blowoff or CIP port. Not knowing the specifics of your fermenter, I can't say.

--- End quote ---

There is a hole on the top lid for a bung and airlock so I guess I could hook co2 there, correct?

Thirsty_Monk:

--- Quote from: a10t2 on January 14, 2013, 05:13:25 PM ---Typically I would:

1. Cold crash and/or fine for 2-3 days.
2. Dump yeast/trub from bottom port once a day.
3. Dump side port to clear, then rack beer through side port. CO2 push if you can't do it with gravity alone.

If you have a racking arm and sight glass you can rotate it down until you start to see sediment, then back off a bit. The volume below the side port of a 7 gal conical has to be really small though.

--- End quote ---
If you want to reuse the yeast. Would you still put findings into the fermentor?
I am using BioFine Clear.

a10t2:

--- Quote from: travjohn92 on January 14, 2013, 07:01:17 PM ---There is a hole on the top lid for a bung and airlock so I guess I could hook co2 there, correct?
--- End quote ---

If it's just a grommeted hole then it probably won't hold much pressure, but as long as you only have to push the beer up a foot or two that will probably work.

--- Quote from: Thirsty_Monk on January 14, 2013, 07:56:21 PM ---If you want to reuse the yeast. Would you still put findings into the fermentor?
--- End quote ---

No, in that case I only do it in the bright. Normally with BioFine Clear I do both - 30 mL/bbl in the fermenter before crashing, and again in the bright.

I guess if the timing worked out you could also harvest just before crashing/fining.

Thirsty_Monk:

--- Quote from: a10t2 on January 14, 2013, 08:41:43 PM ---
--- Quote from: Thirsty_Monk on January 14, 2013, 07:56:21 PM ---If you want to reuse the yeast. Would you still put findings into the fermentor?
--- End quote ---

No, in that case I only do it in the bright. Normally with BioFine Clear I do both - 30 mL/bbl in the fermenter before crashing, and again in the bright.

I guess if the timing worked out you could also harvest just before crashing/fining.

--- End quote ---
I usually harvest after racking. I could try harvesting before racking, adding BioFine Clear and rack.
Thank you for the idea.

snowtiger87:
I have this same fermentor and the biggest problem I have with it is how low to the floor the bottom port is. Makes it a PIA to get any decent sized contanier underneath. I want to build leg extensions for mine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version