Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Albion Ale  (Read 3947 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
New Albion Ale
« on: January 15, 2013, 05:53:31 am »
Cracked open one of these last night. At first I was a bit put off by the simplicity and then I started to think about what was around in the late 70s for a fledgling commercial brewer without anyone else to help and it became clear to me the beer would be basic, simple and tasty. Getcha some.

http://mashbang.wordpress.com/2013/01/15/new-albion-ale/
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
Re: New Albion Ale
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 04:50:20 pm »
There's a nice article on New Albion at BYO
http://www.byo.com/component/resource/article/2651-new-albion

It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 06:27:20 pm »
Cracked open one of these last night. At first I was a bit put off by the simplicity ...

Wow.  Are palates really becoming so jaded that simplicity and balance  are offputting?
I'm much more put off these days by so many new brews coming out that just overdo  everything,  resulting in a muddled mess. 

I'm looking forward to trying this new "tribute"  iteration of New Albion to compare it with my memory of the two bottles of the real thing which I got to enjoy 33 years ago during  it's original run. 
If this one's anything close to the original, it'll be a shame if this is indeed a 'one-off' effort.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 06:05:13 am »
Cracked open one of these last night. At first I was a bit put off by the simplicity ...

Wow.  Are palates really becoming so jaded that simplicity and balance  are offputting?
I'm much more put off these days by so many new brews coming out that just overdo  everything,  resulting in a muddled mess. 

Did you read the blog or the rest of my sentence?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 06:09:18 am by MDixon »
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 03:04:56 pm »
I'm having one now.  I find it rather simplistic and not complex, but I also don't think that's a bad thing.  Many modern beers are just too much, too over the top.  This one is not.  It's simple, tasty, light, and would be a great fishin' beer.  My only criticism is that I wish it was in cans. 

Since my house beers (apparently, lol) are currently "bleach blonde ale" and "elderberry wheat," both of which are pretty simple and not at all over the top, I can find myself appreciating this beer for its simplicity. 

I question BA and RB classifying it as an APA tho.  Doesn't really fit into that category very well.  Honestly it's closer to my blonde ale than any APA that I've made. 

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 07:55:08 pm »

Did you read the blog or the rest of my sentence?

Of course I did ...I read it all.
Actually, while the quoted line did prompt my comment, my response wasn't really directed at you but rather, just  general observation of the state of brewing.     I've heard quite a few other comments similar to the quoted line (in other forums, elsewhere on the net, and in person from other beer lovers)  that implied such simplicity was simply "lame".  There is, after all, a contingent of beer geeks that will dismiss any beer that isn't an over-the-top melange of what is often just too much of everything.

I'm glad you're not one of those.
Sorry for the confusion.  I should have been much clearer in my expression, and clearly acknowledged that I was taking the comment out of context to make a broader point.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline herky21

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 10:00:55 pm »
I was prompted to purchase a 6-pack with the incentive of receiving a bottle signed by Jack Mauliffe.  For $8.49, it seemed like the risk on the beer was worth it.  It is quaffable and delicious in its simplicity. I really enjoy the balance and how the hop flavor really comes through in the obviously simple grain bill.

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 07:31:11 pm »
I was prompted to purchase a 6-pack with the incentive of receiving a bottle signed by Jack Mauliffe.  For $8.49, it seemed like the risk on the beer was worth it.  It is quaffable and delicious in its simplicity. I really enjoy the balance and how the hop flavor really comes through in the obviously simple grain bill.

I really wonder if it's much more than 2-row.  Again, don't get me wrong, I thought it was very enjoyable in its simplicity.  Simple drinkable beers without a ton of hops to hide behind are really quite a bit more impressive than another hop-bomb of a commercial beer.  Honestly I've gotten tired of commercial hop-bombs, I'd rather make them myself and drink something commercial that's harder to make and less forgiving.  I've seen on my blonde ale what a big difference that just a small ingredient change can make.  Never noticed that with a hoppy APA or IPA.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 08:41:49 pm »

I really wonder if it's much more than 2-row.  Again, don't get me wrong, I thought it was very enjoyable in its simplicity.  Simple drinkable beers without a ton of hops to hide behind are really quite a bit more impressive than another hop-bomb of a commercial beer.  Honestly I've gotten tired of commercial hop-bombs, I'd rather make them myself and drink something commercial that's harder to make and less forgiving.  I've seen on my blonde ale what a big difference that just a small ingredient change can make.  Never noticed that with a hoppy APA or IPA.

Unless Sam Adams changed the recipe it is simply 2-row and Cascade.

I've been following a similar trend with my commercial beer purchases as well. I typically stay away from commercial hop bombs as well, but generally because they're way fresher when I brew my own. (Although I am really enjoying a reasonably fresh bottle of Palate Wrecker right now)
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 06:05:45 am »
Americans tend to overdo everything.  Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's not.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim