Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Red's Apple Ale  (Read 10025 times)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Red's Apple Ale
« on: February 04, 2013, 05:27:47 am »
Saw this on the Superbowl commercials youtube channel (W9, the channel that carries the superbowl here, doesn't carry the same commercials) and was wondering, wtf, is it a cider?
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline greatplainsbrewer

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Red's Apple Ale
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 05:41:43 am »
Not a cider.  Rather an apple flavored ale/ malt beverage.  Strong apple flavor.  I'm thinking it is targeting hard lemonade drinkers.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 05:45:01 am »
It tastes like Apple-flavored Smirnoff Ice. I didn't really any "beeriness" to speak of.

Support your local craft cider-maker / mead-maker instead...
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 06:34:07 am »
Oh I can't buy it anywhere within 2,000 miles from here, so don't worry about that.

It sounds like an Apple version of the Alcopops you see nowadays. (This is why I wouldn't bother with going to Delirium Tremens bar in Bruxelles, btw - filled with this crap).
----

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 06:48:11 am »
Really?

I'm headed that way this year - I'll make sure to scratch it off the list.

Actually, the only two things on the list are Cantillon and Westvleteren. After that, I'll have to do some research on what's close and worth going to.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 06:49:39 am »
There have been a few apple beers put out in recent years - at least in the northeast such as Shipyard Applehead. Most are light lagers with overwhelming fresh apple flavor.

Funny story - I ordered one in a bar in Providence, RI once and the waitress asked "Would you like an 'east side rim job' with that?"  Is that legal? I thought.  :o   My friend said "What the hell, sure" and the glass came rimmed with caramel and dipped in brown sugar. It looked ... like the worst thing you can imagine from that name.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 07:21:46 am »
Really?

Actually, the only two things on the list are Cantillon and Westvleteren. After that, I'll have to do some research on what's close and worth going to.

theoman can chime in here more than me, but the only part of Delirium Bar worth going to is the Hoppy Loft at the very top of the building.

If you want beer mecca, go to Chez Moeder Lambic Fontainas (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/21739). Every time I'm there it's really great.

When are you planning to be in Brussels?
----

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 08:27:14 am »
After reading the above reviews, all I can say is thank heavens I did NOT pick up a 6-pack for $6 yesterday when I was tempted at the grocery store.  I actually looked at the bottles and packaging trying to figure out what this stuff was, and who made it.  Nothing - no information.  So I figured it must be a bad idea.  Wise decision apparently.  I hate artificial apple alco-pops.  No better than Woodchuck.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 10:05:43 am »
It is a Miller-Coors product. I figured it must be a big beer brand if it was advertized during the superbowl.

A review from Ratebeer
Taste is sharp, sweet apple juice. Nicely carbonated. Nice apple flavour, but I'm hard pressed to find any actual beer

http://www.reddsapple.com/
The website is pretty ambiguous too, except for the 'Great Beer, Great Responsibility' logo at the bottom. There is only one brewery in Albany, GA that I can find - Miller.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 10:16:59 am by mtnrockhopper »
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 10:15:12 am »
Really?

theoman can chime in here more than me, but the only part of Delirium Bar worth going to is the Hoppy Loft at the very top of the building.

If you want beer mecca, go to Chez Moeder Lambic Fontainas (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/21739). Every time I'm there it's really great.

Probably August - I told my wife we had to go to Europe before we had kids.

We each picked a country, and we're going to end up in Germany because her sister lives there.

Offline brewmanator

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 10:40:27 am »
Really?

Probably August - I told my wife we had to go to Europe before we had kids.

We each picked a country, and we're going to end up in Germany because her sister lives there.

Check out A La Becasse in Brussels.  Quaint little place with a good beer selection, especially if you like lambics.
- Mike

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 10:54:01 am »
Funny story - I ordered one in a bar in Providence, RI once and the waitress asked "Would you like an 'east side rim job' with that?"  Is that legal? I thought.  :o   My friend said "What the hell, sure" and the glass came rimmed with caramel and dipped in brown sugar. It looked ... like the worst thing you can imagine from that name.

I will never drive by Blackstone Park in the East Side without thinking of this from now on. Blecch.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 01:52:18 am »
Really?

Yep, what Phil said. Good call on Cantillon - it's a must. PM me when you get closer to having your plans nailed down and let me know what kind of place/beer you're looking for. I'm happy to help out. There are so many great spots in Brussels and all over Belgium, it's a waste to bother with Delirium.

Just to complicate things for you… I'll be around in August except for the couple days when I'm hoping to make it to London for the Great British Beer Festival. ;-)

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 03:00:17 pm »
Good to see this thread, I know I'll skip this one.

The king of apple beers still remains New Glarus, Apple Enigma FTW! :D

Offline skrag6713

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 03:34:29 pm »
i bought it, i tried it, i actually think woodchuck isn't terrible.  i didn't the same thing about redd's.  when the label actually says 'caramel color added', it's kind of a dead give away that you're drinking cheerleader beer.