Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hennipen  (Read 6948 times)

Offline slimsparty

• Assistant Brewer
  • 1882 Brewery
Re: Hennipen
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2009, 12:02:44 pm »
Hennipen is a decent Saison.

I like their Abbey Ale -I think just called Ommegang  http://www.ommegang.com/index.php?mcat=1&scat=2&yr=1

La Fin Du Monde is a great place to start your belgian lovin'

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 09:51:34 pm »
I just had a Hennepin for the first time in a long time. Is it just me or does this seem a lot closer to a golden strong than a saison? Don't get me wrong, I love the beer, but it seems a lot more estery and not quite as dry as I generally expect from a saison. It's a lot closer to Duvel than to any saison I've had.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 05:49:38 am »
I just had a Hennepin for the first time in a long time. Is it just me or does this seem a lot closer to a golden strong than a saison? Don't get me wrong, I love the beer, but it seems a lot more estery and not quite as dry as I generally expect from a saison. It's a lot closer to Duvel than to any saison I've had.

I have always thought this as well, at least in a side by side with DuPont or some of the Stillwater examples I've had.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 06:33:37 am »
I like it. Maybe a little to clean for my vision of a saison. Just too pricy. And Tintin is on the label somewhere IIRC.

When I get back will have to splurge on a bottle.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2013, 06:39:28 am »
Whoa, zombie thread!  I like Hennipin.  I've heard many sources call this style hoppy but I don't get that.  Maybe hoppy for a French or Belgian beer?  I really like this style and have had some that are estery and others not as much.  Le Merle from a North Coast was a little estery and Boulevard Tank 7 not as estery.  Mother's Brewing from Speingfield, MO just released a Farmhouse as their spring seasonal.  At 5.6% abv its also sessionable.  I've actually never had DuPont.  That stuff is in a green bottle, right?  I realize its supposed to be representative of the style but I figured the Tank 7 and others would be fresh.
Brian
mobrewer