General Category > Kegging and Bottling

Newbie Kegging Questions

<< < (2/6) > >>

davidgzach:

--- Quote from: Joe Sr. on January 15, 2013, 08:36:32 AM ---I pressurize to 30 and shake the keg to carb it.  It's quicker, but less precise.

--- End quote ---

I do that in a pinch as well.  Or crank it up and let it sit for 1-2 days and keep checking.  You get to sample a lot that way!   ;)

Dave

morticaixavier:

--- Quote from: davidgzach on January 15, 2013, 08:58:12 AM ---
--- Quote from: Joe Sr. on January 15, 2013, 08:36:32 AM ---I pressurize to 30 and shake the keg to carb it.  It's quicker, but less precise.

--- End quote ---

I do that in a pinch as well.  Or crank it up and let it sit for 1-2 days and keep checking.  You get to sample a lot that way!   ;)

Dave

--- End quote ---

I have 5' bev lines with cobra taps and it works okay at around 8-10 psi any higher and it gets foamy

On the shake to carb method, I just kegged a porter this weekend, set the co2 to 12 PSI and gently shook the keg for about 10 minutes. after resting for about 20 minutes it was perfect.
I like to pick the keg up and hold it my the rubber handle on top and the rubber foot on the bottom so it is on it's side, resting against my thighs (sounds kinda dirty  ;)) and just rock my whole body back and forth. if the liqiud post is under the liquid level you can hear it bubble away as more co2 enters the keg. Although I have heard that you can end up with liquid in the gas line doing this I have not had that problem... yet.

Joe Sr.:
I have clear gas lines and have never seen liquid enter them.  I have seen frost from the CO2...

You're more dedicated than I am if you shake for 10 minutes.  I do it for maybe a minute or two at a time and do that three or four times over the course of cleaning up everything from kegging.  There are probably as many ways to do this as there are people.

Slowbrew:

--- Quote from: mtnrockhopper on January 15, 2013, 08:15:14 AM ---
If you haven't bought your taps yet, buy Perlick. Standard taps will get sticky. If you buy standard, you'll wish you bought Perlick eventually.

--- End quote ---

I agree with mtnrockhopper on this point.  I put in standard taps and upgraded to Perlicks in less than 2 years.  Save yourself the extra expense and get Perlicks right off the bat.

Paul

SecondRow_Sean:
Forgot to add,

- Faucets are Perlick
- Liquid side tubing is 3/16" ID

So if I set it at 11-12 PSI, shook it for a while (10-12 minutes), let it sit for a day or two, still at 11-12 PSI, would that work?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version