General Category > General Homebrew Discussion

Apartment Home Brewing

<< < (2/3) > >>

When I was in an apartment, I used two pots to help get the wort up to boil, then combined.  Worked fine.

The induction plate will probably work fine too, although there's a small chance you'll pop the circuit breaker if your apartments aren't well wired.

take a look at the last couple of electric kettle threads.  some are very expensive and fancy. however, i made mine quite cheaply and "unpimped"  i can brew anywhere with it and it keeps the damn condensation off the counters/stove top which has been a bone of contention in my brewing.

--- Quote from: w9zeb on January 16, 2013, 11:58:02 AM --- . . . means doing all of my brewing downstairs and then lugging the fermenter up to the third floor.  I'm not opposed to this, but if it can be avoided I'd like to.

--- End quote ---

I would do whatever you could to avoid this.  It is a real pain lugging 40+ pounds of liquid up and down a single flight of stairs, not to mention doing it in such a way to keep it from sloshing around too much.

Where in Texas are you?

I started brewing in apartments before I invaded my now wife's house. I started on those electric coil stoves and it's the same thing I have in my house now that I use from time to time. I've gotten full five gallon boils starting at 6.5 gallons (90 minute boil) in a single pot and a single burner but it took about 90 minutes to reach boil and I had to use the lid to partially enclose the kettle. I also once got 7.5 gallons boiling but I used a second pot to boil and then added that into the kettle to help raise the temperature. That ended up doing some minor damage to the stove that cost about $70 in parts to repair. (So that's something you might want to think about with your apartment stoves. I don't think many landlords would consider that ordinary wear and tear...) Now I do three gallons and smaller on the stove and take anything else outside to the propane burner.

I have heard of people using those induction burners for brewing and they are about as expensive as a propane burner, a tank and a refill of two, so it's a pretty good deal. However, as I understand it you can only use certain kinds of cookware on it because not every pot has the right kind of handles or seams to survive the vibrations. I'd imagine Blichmann and some of the other higher end kettles would be ok (but I would research that first) but I wouldn't trust my regular kitchen stuff or an economy kettle without knowing for sure.

texas brewers unite! 

at medina lake :D

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version