Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 1st BrewFest  (Read 2475 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
1st BrewFest
« on: January 16, 2013, 04:26:56 pm »
Well, we've been in business about 6 months now, and will be pouring at our first beer fest next weekend.  (www.strangebrewfestpt.com)

Anyway, we're looking for any suggestions you guys may have.  It is nice that they will write me a check for all 6 kegs (1/6 bbl) as soon as we arrive. 

Any and all thoughts are appreciated. 

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
1st BrewFest
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 05:57:15 pm »
Everytime I show up a brew fest I realize I have forgotten something. Make sure you have tape, sharpie, scissors, paper, and of course signs/posters and good, quick descriptions of what beers you have on tap. A stand alone chalk board or white board works. People at fests like gimmicks and swag. Make sure you have extra Co2 and extra gaskets and all the fitting for your jockey box. Make sure you have a jockey box! ;)

One of the things we have done is to do a special beer tapping at a specific time (ie: Dark Hammer Tapping @ 7:30). It's an awesome ego boost to see the line swell. ;)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: 1st BrewFest
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 11:13:14 am »
Thanks Keith-

We've gone to this beer fest for the last 5-6 years, it will be a little different this year going as a brewer.  They will have a volunteer to help out, so that will still give us time to have some fun.  (I hope)

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 12:04:17 pm »
If you have a website, facebook page, mailing list, etc. Make sure people can sign up with links, smartphone qr codes, etc. Get some long-term contact out of your time.  Use a site like http://www.the-qrcode-generator.com/ to make one of those smartphone 2D barcodes out of your facebook page URL.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 12:25:07 pm »
If you have a website, facebook page, mailing list, etc. Make sure people can sign up with links, smartphone qr codes, etc. Get some long-term contact out of your time.  Use a site like http://www.the-qrcode-generator.com/ to make one of those smartphone 2D barcodes out of your facebook page URL.

Thanks for the QR code link.  that's terrific.  I always thought folks paid for those things......

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 09:17:06 am »
Well, we survived our first beer fest.  Had some problems getting the jockey box to pour nice, but we overcame that.  They asked for 1bbl of beer, and we poured it all.  Had to close our booth with a couple hours left.  Beleive it or not, the Crab Stout was a great hit.  (who would have thought)

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 09:04:15 pm »
I usually run my kegs at 5psi when at the beer fest.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 10:23:54 pm »
Yes, when you're pouring that fast at a fest you don't really need to worry about the beer losing carb in the keg.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 06:42:28 am »
Congrats on making it through your first fest!  I went to a beer fest in St. Paul this past weekend and was getting pretty amped at the prospect of pouring there in the future.  It sounds like you had a good time and that people liked the beer.  What more can you ask for?
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial