Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: DME vs LME  (Read 4633 times)

Offline swimsalone

• 1st Kit
DME vs LME
« on: January 29, 2013, 08:17:33 pm »
I've seen quite a few recipes lately that call for a combination of LME and DME and was wondering if anyone knew the logic behind this. Is there a benefit to combining the two, or using one over the other.

I've been using LME and specialty grains for brewing (roughly 6 or 7 years) and reserving DME for bottling.

Just curious, I guess.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
Re: DME vs LME
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 08:22:02 pm »
I always thought it was because LME usually only comes in predetermined amounts (3lbs, 6lbs) and DME can be used in various amounts based on the gravity you want.

But I could be wrong.  :D
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 01:56:36 am »
I think Amanda's got it right (but I could also be wrong :) ).

I only use DME because it stores well and I use it rarely.   LME does mix in easier though, so if I needed extract and could get it fresh, I might use that.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 06:50:45 am »
+1 Amanda
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 10:20:47 am »
+1.060 Amanda
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 11:16:28 am »
LME can be gotten in precise amounts from certain vendors or homebrew stores. 

LME can scorch if you don't immediately mix well.  In practice, as long as you mix well, this probably won't happen.

Taste wise I haven't personally noticed any difference.  Both work well.

DME is easier to store and weigh, and may have a longer shelf life.

When I was doing extract, i used both, sometimes in combination.  Seems like six of one, half dozen of the other.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 11:51:30 am »
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline fugglupagus

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 12:00:49 pm »

If you buy extract from your LHBS then it’s quite possible to weigh out whatever amount of LME you want.  If you’re ordering online or using imported LME then you’re likely committed to the standard container sizes used by the online source or manufacturer.  Extract recipes based on a specific supplier’s packaging tend to reflect this. 

LME is less expensive, easy to use in large quantities, available in more varieties and brands, and stales faster.  DME is more readily available in smaller quantities, stays fresher longer, stays fresher longer once the package is open, and (to me) is easier/more convenient to use and keep around once the package is opened.  For some or all of these reasons recipes tend to specify multiples of standard package weights of LME for the bulk of the fermentables, then build up any remaining fermentables with DME.

For instance an English pale ale recipe will likely suggest an English brand extract like Munton’s, and an ESB may need between two and three 3.3 lb cans of Munton’s  LME in a 5 gal batch to provide an OG appropriate for the style.  So to achieve that gravity an ESB recipe may specify 6.6 lbs (two cans) of Munton’s LME plus some Munton’s DME to make up the difference.  Same thing with online homebrew shops who build recipes/kits based on their LME packaging.  For instance the Consecration clone from Morebeer comes with one of their standard sized pouches of LME and a baggie of DME to bump the OG up to where Vinnie says it should be.
Keezer:  It's a big box that dispenses beer. No matter how well or sh$%&y it's built, it will be beautiful.