General Category > All Grain Brewing

First all-grain, help me make a SMaSH APA recipe?

(1/3) > >>

anje:
I'm gearing up to go all-grain, have a lot of new equipment, and I'm trying to come up with a basic, easy-to-brew SMaSH recipe that'll also give me an excuse to test out the new grain mill. (Yes, it was a good Christmas.)

I'm thinking that I want to make an APA with Rahr 2-row, Cascade pellets, and US-05. Thinking an OG of roughly 1.050 would be good, and I like the mouthfeel I've gotten from extract batches that came out at about 1.012. I have a 40-quart pot (about 15 inches in diameter), a big cooler with a stainless braid inside that I'll preheat, and I'd like to do a single step infusion. Looking to come out with 5-5.5 gallons of wort.

My local water is very hard, but I haven't had an analysis done on it yet.  Alkalinity is reported as being 240 ppm as CaCO3, hardness as 360 ppm, and sulfates as 61 ppm. (Here's a link to the water report, which is semi-helpful.) I plan to get some out of my faucet filter and throw in a Campden tablet (chloramine, yuck), but I wouldn't be opposed to substantially diluting my water with distilled.

Should I follow Palmer's advice and add a small amount of dark malt just to lower the pH, or consider pH5.2 mash stabilizer?

What else do I need to know?

firedog23:
Why kill yourself over a SMaSH (just did one last month) and not do something you may like? I found the SMaSH as a good barometer of getting your system/process right but I have more fun doing beers I actually like.

snowtiger87:
A bit of dark malt would not hurt - probably works better than 5.2. I would also consider using some distilled water in place of your tap water (maybe half). Do you know the pH of your tap water?

anje:

--- Quote from: firedog23 on January 17, 2013, 01:29:53 PM ---Why kill yourself over a SMaSH (just did one last month) and not do something you may like? I found the SMaSH as a good barometer of getting your system/process right but I have more fun doing beers I actually like.
--- End quote ---
Honestly, largely because I like APAs a lot, though I've done them before with all store-bought water. (Adding the local water to extract seems... excessive. Also, I've moved to a new rental and I think the water tastes better from the tap at the new place.)

--- Quote from: snowtiger87 on January 17, 2013, 01:31:54 PM ---Do you know the pH of your tap water?

--- End quote ---
The water report says 7.3.  I don't have a pH meter at home yet (perhaps should pick up some strips?), but I can grab a sample and check it tomorrow at school.

hopfenundmalz:

--- Quote from: anje on January 17, 2013, 01:22:07 PM ---My local water is very hard, but I haven't had an analysis done on it yet.  Alkalinity is reported as being 240 ppm as CaCO3, hardness as 360 ppm, and sulfates as 61 ppm. (Here's a link to the water report, which is semi-helpful.) I plan to get some out of my faucet filter and throw in a Campden tablet (chloramine, yuck), but I wouldn't be opposed to substantially diluting my water with distilled.

Should I follow Palmer's advice and add a small amount of dark malt just to lower the pH, or consider pH5.2 mash stabilizer?

What else do I need to know?

--- End quote ---

This should help your water knowledge, as it is Martins page on water knowledge.
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/water-knowledge

I have spent a lot of time in Lafayette in the last year due to elder care issues. The water is hard, but last time I was there it did not seem so bad. Mine is worse, especially for alkalinity.

Hardness as CaCO3 = 423ppm
Alkalinity as CaCo3 = 298 ppm

I had to do something to make the beers I wanted, so my advice is to see if you can find a water machine in town that has RO process touted on it. That takes most of the minerals out and is much cheaper than distilled, I pay $0.29/gallon. This is what Gordon Strong says he does in Brewing Better Beer, and I have heard he makes good beer.

If you can check pH, that is a step in the right direction. Lactic or phosphoric acid are good for dropping the pH for all pale malt or Pils malt (I do SMaSH beers called Pilsners  ;)). If you need to raise pH, get some pickling lime. I found mine at the Rural King farm store on Teal by the Alcoa plant when I was in town to see the inlaws.

5.2 didn't do much for me, but I was using RO water - and I had a pH meter that said it wasn't doing much for me.

Edit - get some pH papers. Read about the correction to apply in Martins water page. Read about 5.2 on Martins water page.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version