General Category > Ingredients

Hops turned slightly brown. Can I dry hop with them?

<< < (2/3) > >>

davidgzach:

--- Quote from: tschmidlin on January 17, 2013, 11:22:06 PM ---I wouldn't use them.  Next time squeeze out the air and keep them in the freezer.  Use the fresh simcoe and leave it at that.

--- End quote ---

Tom,

Do you think they will impart a poor flavor?  Still good for bittering?  What are your thoughts behind not using them?

Dave

bwana:
If they smell good use them,if they don't dump them!

tschmidlin:

--- Quote from: davidgzach on January 18, 2013, 07:24:08 AM ---
--- Quote from: tschmidlin on January 17, 2013, 11:22:06 PM ---I wouldn't use them.  Next time squeeze out the air and keep them in the freezer.  Use the fresh simcoe and leave it at that.

--- End quote ---

Tom,

Do you think they will impart a poor flavor?  Still good for bittering?  What are your thoughts behind not using them?

Dave

--- End quote ---
I would worry about oxidized flavors from the hops.  They might be fine, they might not, but why take a chance?  The simcoe will be great.

You could still use them for bittering, there is less worry there.  Although I might dump them altogether.  It's 1/2 oz, not 1/2 lb.

Illini Rookie:
So in the end, instead of waiting to hear a response, I threw them away. I was happy with the Simcoe, and I figured I could just go get another 1 oz if I wanted to add it to the dry hop.

The IPA is tasting great, and I am thinking of pulling the dry hops after only 3 days after reading the OSU article.

My concern with the brown was that the oxidation of the hops would come through even more since it was being dry hopped. I would of been okay using them for bittering except for I seem to recall hearing negative things about Galaxy for bittering. If it had been the Warrior that was brown, I might of saved them.

Obviously I didn't know though otherwise I wouldn't have posted.  :D

tschmidlin:

--- Quote from: Illini Rookie on January 21, 2013, 07:09:31 PM ---So in the end, instead of waiting to hear a response, I threw them away. I was happy with the Simcoe, and I figured I could just go get another 1 oz if I wanted to add it to the dry hop.

The IPA is tasting great, and I am thinking of pulling the dry hops after only 3 days after reading the OSU article.

My concern with the brown was that the oxidation of the hops would come through even more since it was being dry hopped. I would of been okay using them for bittering except for I seem to recall hearing negative things about Galaxy for bittering. If it had been the Warrior that was brown, I might of saved them.

Obviously I didn't know though otherwise I wouldn't have posted.  :D

--- End quote ---
Sorry it took me so long, I've had a lot going on. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version