Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Filter  (Read 2079 times)

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
Filter
« on: July 16, 2013, 12:55:34 am »
Hey Guys, the only filtering I want to do on my water is for chlorine. I bought a Culligan whole house filter, because my new house doesn't have any faucets that work with my old faucet carbon filter. This unit comes with a 5 micron filter. Will that strip out anything I want in my beer? Will it get rid of chlorine?
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
Re: Filter
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 04:54:10 am »
Hey Guys, the only filtering I want to do on my water is for chlorine. I bought a Culligan whole house filter, because my new house doesn't have any faucets that work with my old faucet carbon filter. This unit comes with a 5 micron filter. Will that strip out anything I want in my beer? Will it get rid of chlorine?

Yes it'll get rid of chlorine. You might want to get ahold of your water report to see if they use chloramine. Edit:  Typical carbon filters can remove chloramine, but it requires a longs contact time.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 05:53:30 am by hopsand »
Trey W.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 06:24:40 am »
Campden tablets (1 per 20 gallons) will remove Chlorine and Chloramine.  If you do have just straight Chlorine, you can set you water out overnight and it will dissipate on it's own (which is why I think municipalities switch to chloramine).
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 09:57:03 am »
Thanks Guys, yeah I have a water report that a local pro-brewer shared with me, I don't remember seeing chloramines.  Honestly, my little over-the-faucet carbon filter did the trick for getting rid of chlorine (I had problems with chlorophenol without the filter).  Also, I always measure out my water the night before brewing, just to be sure.  If I can avoid another chemical (Camden Tablets, I would like to.
Thanks for the info guys!
Dark Side, I met you at the NHC, although for a brief moment.
Dave Malone

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 08:29:42 am »
The other part of my question was, will this filter strip out any minerals from my beer?  I have my salt additions set to my water report, and if the filter strips some of them out of my base water, that will be unfortunate.
Dave Malone