Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Thermopens on sale  (Read 7094 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Thermopens on sale
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 11:53:24 am »
I'd say 2-3 seconds.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 03:35:20 pm »
are these really worth the price?  How fast does it read temps?  I bought a waterproof digital thermometer from a kitchen supply store for $15.

2 seconds max.

Offline SiameseMoose

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 06:12:39 pm »
Thanks for posting. I already have one but many club members have asked about it. I reposted the link on our club group and have already heard from three people who have bought one.

Offline wactuary

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 10:18:51 am »
Mine arrived a few days ago.

Box said open box in a sticker, but I could find no other evidence of it being used.

Locks temp in just 2 seconds. But what I really found neat is that it only reads the temp in the first 1/16th of an inch of the tip. Probing a chicken cutlet you could see the temp gradations while it cooked.

Overkill... Yes. Really cool... Absolutely!

I have been going through the 10-15 dollar units every year or so. Feels like this has longevity. We'll see. Also the cheap ones often come miscallibrated by a few degrees. I checked this one against boiling water and ice bath and it was spot on.  Impressive!

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 12:44:06 pm »
Mine arrived a few days ago.

Box said open box in a sticker, but I could find no other evidence of it being used.

Locks temp in just 2 seconds. But what I really found neat is that it only reads the temp in the first 1/16th of an inch of the tip. Probing a chicken cutlet you could see the temp gradations while it cooked.

Overkill... Yes. Really cool... Absolutely!

I have been going through the 10-15 dollar units every year or so. Feels like this has longevity. We'll see. Also the cheap ones often come miscallibrated by a few degrees. I checked this one against boiling water and ice bath and it was spot on.  Impressive!

+1

I just got mine a few days ago as well.  Checked the cal and it was right on the button.  I'm looking forward to seeing what the differences are between the pen and the brewmometers I have.