Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cold Wort - Warm Yeast  (Read 10647 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Cold Wort - Warm Yeast
« on: January 18, 2013, 11:36:24 am »
Any danger pitching room temperature yeast starters into cold wort?  At this time of year, it's probably 1 to 2 degrees above freezing in my garage and I sometimes make beer at the end of the day, chill it down to 70 or so with an immersion chiller and let it sit overnight in the cold to allow the hot break and hops to settle out before transferring to a bucket or carboy.  I've had good luck with this but now it's really cold and I'm wondering if there is any detriment to pitching room temp yeast into this cold wort.  Ideally, I would remember to put the yeast starter in the garage at the same time and let it get cold but sometimes I forget.

After pitching I move them to the basement that is a nice even 66 degrees.  I could let the beer warm up before pitching but I'd prefer to have yeast in there in order to compete if there are any bacteria etc that the star-san missed.

Thanks

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Cold Wort - Warm Yeast
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 11:40:03 am »
How cold is the wort? You don't want to pitch too low or the yeast will go dormant.
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 12:31:29 pm »
Supposedly cold yeast into warm wort is good, warm yeast into cold wort not so good....but I'll be damned if I can remember exactly why.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 01:06:54 pm »
Supposedly cold yeast into warm wort is good, warm yeast into cold wort not so good....but I'll be damned if I can remember exactly why.

Something about liquor on beer or beer on liquor....    oh wait
Joe

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 01:18:50 pm »

Something about liquor on beer or beer on liquor....    oh wait
No, man, it's before...liquor before beer...
Jesse

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 02:30:32 pm »
I don't think it is ever a good practice to shock the yeast with cold to warm and dry to wet having a bad effect on the cell walls.  That being said, I truly have no idea about warm to cold.  If it were me, I would just wait for one or the other.  Bring the warm yeast in the garage to get cold and if you forget, then bring the cold wort in the house to warm up.  If you are sanitizing well, there should be no problems.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 03:04:17 pm »
Most recommendations I have seen is have your yeast within 10 degrees of your wort either way.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 03:21:35 pm »
I don't think it is ever a good practice to shock the yeast with cold to warm and dry to wet having a bad effect on the cell walls.  That being said, I truly have no idea about warm to cold.  If it were me, I would just wait for one or the other.  Bring the warm yeast in the garage to get cold and if you forget, then bring the cold wort in the house to warm up.  If you are sanitizing well, there should be no problems.

Dave

I have done colder yeast to warmer wort for many years and hundreds of batches.  I've gotten excellent results and never any sign of "yeast shock".  AAMOF, I don't know if it even exists and I've read that it's actually preferable to do it that way.  Dr. Schmidlin, didn't you weigh in on this before?  The theory being that if you warm up the yeast they start consuming their nutrient reserves before they go into the yeast.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 05:05:43 pm »
jeez denny, alzheimers moment?

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 05:13:31 pm »
How cold is the wort?
Well, it's too cold to lager in the garage so I'm guessing it's just above freezing.
I brought the wort inside for a couple hours to let it warm a bit before I pitched.
I've pitched into cider that had ice in it and it worked fine but maybe it could have worked better.

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 05:24:43 pm »
If you pitch the yeast in very cold wort, it won't really stay in suspension, it will just fall down to the bottom of the vessel. Once it is on the bottom it is harder to get it started fermenting. I think you would be better off bringing the wort into the basement and let it sit there until it gets in the sixties and then pitch the yeast.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 07:20:47 am »

Dave

I have done colder yeast to warmer wort for many years and hundreds of batches.  I've gotten excellent results and never any sign of "yeast shock".  AAMOF, I don't know if it even exists and I've read that it's actually preferable to do it that way.  Dr. Schmidlin, didn't you weigh in on this before?  The theory being that if you warm up the yeast they start consuming their nutrient reserves before they go into the yeast.

I hear ya Denny.  I was thinking of more of an extreme.  Like pitching 34F yeast straight from the fridge in to 68F wort.  I can't see that being a good thing but I don't know the science.  (Plus I was well in to my super Noble hopped Pils when I commented last night, YUM!  ;D)  Tom?  a10?

Dave
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 07:25:11 am by davidgzach »
Dave Zach

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 10:01:01 am »
I don't think there's much, if any, negative effect of pitching cold yeast into warm wort. I pull my starters out of the fridge, decant, and pitch immediately as my standard method. So you're taking about roughly a 30 degree temp difference. The yeast always perform great.
Mark Gres

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2013, 10:23:28 am »
jeez denny, alzheimers moment?

Could be....I forget!  ;)

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 10:24:29 am »
I don't think there's much, if any, negative effect of pitching cold yeast into warm wort. I pull my starters out of the fridge, decant, and pitch immediately as my standard method. So you're taking about roughly a 30 degree temp difference. The yeast always perform great.

Yeah, same method for me.

www.dennybrew.com