General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

Cold Wort - Warm Yeast

<< < (2/4) > >>

davidgzach:
I don't think it is ever a good practice to shock the yeast with cold to warm and dry to wet having a bad effect on the cell walls.  That being said, I truly have no idea about warm to cold.  If it were me, I would just wait for one or the other.  Bring the warm yeast in the garage to get cold and if you forget, then bring the cold wort in the house to warm up.  If you are sanitizing well, there should be no problems.

Dave

snowtiger87:
Most recommendations I have seen is have your yeast within 10 degrees of your wort either way.

denny:

--- Quote from: davidgzach on January 18, 2013, 02:30:32 PM ---I don't think it is ever a good practice to shock the yeast with cold to warm and dry to wet having a bad effect on the cell walls.  That being said, I truly have no idea about warm to cold.  If it were me, I would just wait for one or the other.  Bring the warm yeast in the garage to get cold and if you forget, then bring the cold wort in the house to warm up.  If you are sanitizing well, there should be no problems.

Dave

--- End quote ---

I have done colder yeast to warmer wort for many years and hundreds of batches.  I've gotten excellent results and never any sign of "yeast shock".  AAMOF, I don't know if it even exists and I've read that it's actually preferable to do it that way.  Dr. Schmidlin, didn't you weigh in on this before?  The theory being that if you warm up the yeast they start consuming their nutrient reserves before they go into the yeast.

speed:

--- Quote from: denny on January 18, 2013, 12:31:29 PM ---Supposedly cold yeast into warm wort is good, warm yeast into cold wort not so good....but I'll be damned if I can remember exactly why.

--- End quote ---
jeez denny, alzheimers moment?

gmac:

--- Quote from: beersk on January 18, 2013, 11:40:03 AM ---How cold is the wort?

--- End quote ---
Well, it's too cold to lager in the garage so I'm guessing it's just above freezing.
I brought the wort inside for a couple hours to let it warm a bit before I pitched.
I've pitched into cider that had ice in it and it worked fine but maybe it could have worked better.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version