Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Adjusting gravity with DME  (Read 10320 times)

Offline imperialstout

• Cellarman
Adjusting gravity with DME
« on: January 18, 2013, 03:19:23 pm »
Just learned SG and OG can be increased by adding DME. Anyone know about how much DME to add per gravity point? Are we talking spoonfuls or cupfuls of DME for a 5 gal batch?

Trial and error works, just thought someone already knows.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Adjusting gravity with DME
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 03:22:27 pm »
1 lb. of DME will get you 9 points in a 5 gal. batch.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 04:00:45 pm »

What do you think of this process?  I had to do once recently, and everything seems to sork out.  But it kind of seemed like "cheating."

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 07:29:58 pm »

What do you think of this process?  I had to do once recently, and everything seems to sork out.  But it kind of seemed like "cheating."

My boiloff on my electric range is rather inconsistent, so I have to add DME every now and then to get to the gravity I'm shooting for. It bothered me at first, but all the brews I've had to do this for have turned out just fine.

I have decided to make some adjustments to my process, however. I'd much rather overshoot my gravity and add topoff water than undershoot and have to add DME.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 07:54:31 pm »
I've added DME to hit my gravity if I undershoot, mostly due to lower boil off.  But I don't do it often and when I do I don't think of it as cheating.  If the beer turns out well that's all that matters.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Adjusting gravity with DME
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 05:43:09 am »
I don't see any reason why it is cheating. It's just a tool to use. Some times on higher gravity brews I will add a couple pounds light DME just for convenience sake.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 07:00:08 am »
Doing a high gravity beer recipe of mine at a local brewpub, the brewer added a bag of DME to 7 barrels. That is standard procedure for him, as they max out the mash tun for big beers. We also added some sugar and a gallon of molasses to this one, a Baltic Porter. Turned out pretty good!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 10:34:01 am »

IME, adding a lb. or 2 of DME to an AG batch is pretty much undetectable.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 08:24:54 am »

Great beer tastes great no matter the process. Bad beer tastes bad regardless of process authenticity. Besides, we've all chosen to let others do some of the work. Rarely do we grow grains and hops, malt and kiln barley, culture our own yeast, etc. The line is in the middle of a big gradient.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline rob_f

• Assistant Brewer
  • Corcoran Brew Works, Maryland
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 09:33:19 am »
I have decided to make some adjustments to my process, however. I'd much rather overshoot my gravity and add topoff water than undershoot and have to add DME.

Diluting your gravity also dilutes your IBUs.  Noted hophead Mike "Tasty" McDole intentionally undershoots and adds DME to every brew.  He buys DME in 50-lb bags.
Rob Farrell
AHA
CRABS

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 10:14:18 am »

Diluting your gravity also dilutes your IBUs.  Noted hophead Mike "Tasty" McDole intentionally undershoots and adds DME to every brew.  He buys DME in 50-lb bags.

Good point, although I think you mean concentrating your gravity dilutes your IBU's. The flip side is that a more dilute wort will lead to higher IBU's, which may not be desirable in certain styles. For my really hoppy brews, my calculated IBU's are usually in the 60's-70's, so even if I lose 5-10 IBU's I'm still at the upper limit of the bitterness threshold. Plus, I get to use the topoff water to rinse the hop trub in my kettle for some extra hoppy goodness.
Eric B.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 02:58:31 pm »
Good point, although I think you mean concentrating your gravity dilutes your IBU's. The flip side is that a more dilute wort will lead to higher IBU's, which may not be desirable in certain styles. For my really hoppy brews, my calculated IBU's are usually in the 60's-70's, so even if I lose 5-10 IBU's I'm still at the upper limit of the bitterness threshold. Plus, I get to use the topoff water to rinse the hop trub in my kettle for some extra hoppy goodness.
More dilute wort during the boil will lead to better hop utilization and higher IBU's. But they were talking about adding water to wort post boil to correct gravity. This would certain lead to lower IBU's because of 1) higher gravity during boil and 2) post boil dilution of alpha-acids.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 06:44:35 pm »
More dilute wort during the boil will lead to better hop utilization and higher IBU's. But they were talking about adding water to wort post boil to correct gravity. This would certain lead to lower IBU's because of 1) higher gravity during boil and 2) post boil dilution of alpha-acids.

I was misreading this as having a dilute boil, as opposed to diluting postboil. Thanks for the clarification.
Eric B.

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 08:04:41 pm »
The Android app BrewZor Calculator has a tool for adjusting gravity with DME or LME. Enter your current gravity, desired gravity, and wort volume and it tells you how many ounces of DME or LME to add.
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline gauzzastrip

• 1st Kit
    • BrewShuffle.com - Share your home brew
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 11:25:39 am »
But it kind of seemed like "cheating."
As long as it tastes good!