General Category > All Grain Brewing

Adjusting gravity with DME

<< < (3/3)

erockrph:

--- Quote from: rob_f on January 22, 2013, 09:33:19 AM ---
--- Quote from: erockrph on January 18, 2013, 07:29:58 PM --- I have decided to make some adjustments to my process, however. I'd much rather overshoot my gravity and add topoff water than undershoot and have to add DME.

--- End quote ---

Diluting your gravity also dilutes your IBUs.  Noted hophead Mike "Tasty" McDole intentionally undershoots and adds DME to every brew.  He buys DME in 50-lb bags.

--- End quote ---

Good point, although I think you mean concentrating your gravity dilutes your IBU's. The flip side is that a more dilute wort will lead to higher IBU's, which may not be desirable in certain styles. For my really hoppy brews, my calculated IBU's are usually in the 60's-70's, so even if I lose 5-10 IBU's I'm still at the upper limit of the bitterness threshold. Plus, I get to use the topoff water to rinse the hop trub in my kettle for some extra hoppy goodness.

Jimmy K:

--- Quote from: erockrph on January 22, 2013, 10:14:18 AM ---Good point, although I think you mean concentrating your gravity dilutes your IBU's. The flip side is that a more dilute wort will lead to higher IBU's, which may not be desirable in certain styles. For my really hoppy brews, my calculated IBU's are usually in the 60's-70's, so even if I lose 5-10 IBU's I'm still at the upper limit of the bitterness threshold. Plus, I get to use the topoff water to rinse the hop trub in my kettle for some extra hoppy goodness.

--- End quote ---
More dilute wort during the boil will lead to better hop utilization and higher IBU's. But they were talking about adding water to wort post boil to correct gravity. This would certain lead to lower IBU's because of 1) higher gravity during boil and 2) post boil dilution of alpha-acids.

erockrph:

--- Quote from: mtnrockhopper on January 22, 2013, 02:58:31 PM ---
--- Quote from: erockrph on January 22, 2013, 10:14:18 AM ---Good point, although I think you mean concentrating your gravity dilutes your IBU's. The flip side is that a more dilute wort will lead to higher IBU's, which may not be desirable in certain styles. For my really hoppy brews, my calculated IBU's are usually in the 60's-70's, so even if I lose 5-10 IBU's I'm still at the upper limit of the bitterness threshold. Plus, I get to use the topoff water to rinse the hop trub in my kettle for some extra hoppy goodness.

--- End quote ---
More dilute wort during the boil will lead to better hop utilization and higher IBU's. But they were talking about adding water to wort post boil to correct gravity. This would certain lead to lower IBU's because of 1) higher gravity during boil and 2) post boil dilution of alpha-acids.

--- End quote ---

I was misreading this as having a dilute boil, as opposed to diluting postboil. Thanks for the clarification.

ccfoo242:
The Android app BrewZor Calculator has a tool for adjusting gravity with DME or LME. Enter your current gravity, desired gravity, and wort volume and it tells you how many ounces of DME or LME to add.

gauzzastrip:

--- Quote from: micsager on January 18, 2013, 04:00:45 PM ---But it kind of seemed like "cheating."

--- End quote ---
As long as it tastes good!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version