Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: recommend an oktoberfest yeast  (Read 11751 times)

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: recommend an oktoberfest yeast
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2013, 04:01:09 pm »

i may give the Hochkurz double decoction a try with the step hot water infusion procedure..seems reasonably straight forward and simple to perform.
[/quote]

One piece of advice is to pull more than you think you should for the first decoction.  I still have to force myself to take more out so I can get to my next step.  Make sure you have a pot of boiling water on hand as well..... ;)

Good luck!

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2013, 05:41:52 pm »
For malty lagers I use W206. (Wyeast 2206, maybe White Labs 830?)

Edit: According to Kris England's chart it's WLP820.

wyeast 2206 - any issues with burning up the diacetyl ? they even list it as high producer of D.

just curious

2206 is my go to lager yeast because I not only love the malty flavor it gives, but I have never gotten diacetyl from it.  I think it's the most reliable, well behaved lager yeast I've used.

I used Wy2206 and the Oktoberfest was pretty good.  I thought I could detect some diacetyl but none of my friends could.  This was my first and only lager attempt as I don't have an ideal place to ferment a lager. I used a Mr. Beer fermentor so I could ferment it in my refrigerator.  It fermented around 47F and lagered for two months at 37F.  Probably not ideal temps so a little diacetyl wasn't surprising.  Overall it was a good beer and if I ever get a thermostat for my deep freeze I'll use 2206 on another Oktoberfest.

EDIT: I also didn't make a starter as I thought a smack pack would provide enough yeast for a little over 2 gallons.  May explain the diacetyl I thought I detected.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 05:48:38 pm by bboy9000 »
Brian
mobrewer

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2013, 07:01:43 pm »

i may give the Hochkurz double decoction a try with the step hot water infusion procedure..seems reasonably straight forward and simple to perform.

One piece of advice is to pull more than you think you should for the first decoction.  I still have to force myself to take more out so I can get to my next step.  Make sure you have a pot of boiling water on hand as well..... ;)

Good luck!

Dave
[/quote]

im not pulling mash and heating..i'm infusing with water to reach my next temp step....easier and more practical for my setup.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2013, 08:58:01 am »
I use WLP833 (getting back to the original question).  I like the malt profile it leaves.  Also makes a good starter for my doppelbock.

have you used another? any compare and contrast highlights you noticed?

I have used WLP820 and 830 as well.  820 was OK but does not attenuate as much as 833, 830 attenuates a bit too much for the style IMO.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2013, 02:24:21 pm »

Good luck!

Dave

im not pulling mash and heating..i'm infusing with water to reach my next temp step....easier and more practical for my setup.
[/quote]

Cool, but then it's just a double infusion, not double decoction.... :)
Dave Zach

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2013, 06:41:36 pm »

Good luck!

Dave

[/quote]

Ok technically accurate...but from Kai's report, it's the same outcome isn't it?
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2013, 01:21:58 pm »

Good luck!

Dave

Ok technically accurate...but from Kai's report, it's the same outcome isn't it?
[/quote]

Just busting your stones!  Infusion-wise it is the same. But pulling decoctions definitely changes the character of the beer.
Dave Zach

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
recommend an oktoberfest yeast
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2013, 02:17:14 pm »
But pulling decoctions definitely changes the character of the beer.

Uh.....maybe....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2013, 05:13:57 pm »

Uh.....maybe....

Uh oh, I see a decoction debate coming! 
Dave Zach

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
recommend an oktoberfest yeast
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2013, 05:15:29 pm »

Uh.....maybe....

Uh oh, I see a decoction debate coming!  Dennny

No debate.....I know what I believe and everyone else is free to be wrong....;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2013, 05:23:38 pm »

Uh.....maybe....

Uh oh, I see a decoction debate coming!  Dennny

No debate.....I know what I believe and everyone else is free to be wrong....;)

LOL! 
Dave Zach