Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Add Extract DURING a Mini-Mash to use the Enzymes?  (Read 7910 times)

Offline jackhorzempa

• 1st Kit
Re: Add Extract DURING a Mini-Mash to use the Enzymes?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 11:29:27 am »
. . . . .  However, I also know that the various extracts in the market today have different attenuability depending on which manufacturer, i.e., some extracts won't ferment down below 1.018, no matter what you do or how much simple sugar or adjuncts you add or whatever. . . . . .

I'm not sure I get that part.  I know there used to be extract brands like Laaglander that were significantly less fermentable than others.  But I haven't come accross anything like Laaglander, or any extract that would finish at or near 1.018 if the beer didn't start above 1.076.  I find extracts from Briess, Muntons, and a bunch of the online supply houses to predictably fermentable.  Have you had fermentability issues with specific brands of extracts?
It has been my consistent personal experience that malt extracts from Williams Brewing are not very fermentable; in particular German Gold and German Pils. Those extracts routinely result in beers with a final gravity around 1.020. Those extracts make tasty beers but you have to accept that they will also be beers with body.

Cheers!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 12:50:01 pm »
I'll second the Breiss pilsen DME.  It's the only extract I use.  I've found it to be highly fermentable and extremely light in color.  I don't think I've had anything get down to 1.006, but I'm typically starting out around 1.08 at the low end and consistently coming in at 1.012 or thereabouts.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline jackhorzempa

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 01:49:16 pm »
I'll second the Breiss pilsen DME.  It's the only extract I use.  I've found it to be highly fermentable and extremely light in color.  I don't think I've had anything get down to 1.006, but I'm typically starting out around 1.08 at the low end and consistently coming in at 1.012 or thereabouts.
“I don't think I've had anything get down to 1.006 …” Yeah, I was a bit shocked that this batch came down that low. This was my first time using Wyeast 1469; that strain must be able to metabolize all kinds of sugars including maltose and maltotriose.

I do routinely get down to 1.010 using Breiss Pilsen DME with an assortment of yeast strains; starting gravities of around 1.050 and above. In my IPAs I routinely go from 1.062 to 1.010 even when adding 1 lb. of crystal (using US-05).

Cheers!