Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lagering question for Steam beer  (Read 1672 times)

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
Lagering question for Steam beer
« on: January 14, 2013, 08:02:04 am »
Doing an Anchor Steam clone; been in primary for about a week @~64F. Just tasted some and i am not pickng up any diacetyl and i think fermentation is done. So what next? do i cold crash? lager? or simply keg, force and serve?
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Lagering question for Steam beer
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 08:11:06 am »
Steam Beers are my favorite.  You can really do any of the above.  They are meant to be served fresh, but a few weeks of lagering does good things.  I'd leave it in primary for another week, keg for 2 weeks, carb and serve.  Then make another and lager it for a few weeks.  See the difference.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 08:30:59 am »
Like Dave says, you could go either way, drink it fresh or lager it. Personally, I think a Steam beer really shines after 3-4 weeks of lagering, but that's just my opinion.
Mark Gres

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 08:41:39 am »
Like Dave says, you could go either way, drink it fresh or lager it. Personally, I think a Steam beer really shines after 3-4 weeks of lagering, but that's just my opinion.

I agree as Steams are a regular brew here. Personally I ferment mine at 58 and leave in primary for 3 weeks total. The third week I allow to self rise to 62 and then package. They turn out crystal clear and really tasty!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline bwana

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 07:44:43 am »
I always leave mine on the yeast for 3 weeks. You can drink these fresh if you want to but in my opinion they are best after 8 weeks. I recently found 2 bottles from 10 months ago and they still tasted great!