Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Impending Doom or RDWHAHB?  (Read 2256 times)

Offline harbicide

• Cellarman
  • Barkeeper's Friend will not passivate stainless.
Impending Doom or RDWHAHB?
« on: January 19, 2013, 10:25:57 am »
On December 27 I brewed 20 gallons of Wee Heavy.  I typically drain the yeast from my conical and keg/bottle when all of the yeast is out of the vessel (my conical does not have a racking arm).  Anyways, I have been out of town a lot lately and did not have time to drain the yeast, thus today I siphoned off of the top into 4 kegs.  Before starting the top of the beer had dozens of white 1/8" spots floating on the top.  I have seen this before and always attributed it to unsinking kreusen that dries out.  While siphoning today I certainly picked up a few of the dots.  Is my theory feasible?

After siphoning the dots mostly attached to the side wall as the two pictures showl

On Tap: 10 yr old Barleywine, Porter, Vienna Lager

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
Re: Impending Doom or RDWHAHB?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 11:20:44 am »
I have had similar issues with certain yeasts. None seemed to hurt the finished product. Mine were closer to krausen chunks, not dots.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 11:28:42 am »
Looks fine.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 08:00:39 am »
remember that scene in poltergeist II with the tequila worm...

well, that probably won't happen to you  ::)

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 10:15:05 am »
Taste will tell you if its wild yeast/mold/bacteria.  Hard to tell from the photo, really it doesn't seem like wild bugs would be that far along after only a month so I'm guessing you're good.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline harbicide

• Cellarman
  • Barkeeper's Friend will not passivate stainless.
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 08:58:24 am »
Taste will tell you if its wild yeast/mold/bacteria.  Hard to tell from the photo, really it doesn't seem like wild bugs would be that far along after only a month so I'm guessing you're good.

Taste is good, but 3 kegs went directly into my 30F keggerator.  The potential issue I think about is the 5 gallons that is bottled and currently conditioning.
On Tap: 10 yr old Barleywine, Porter, Vienna Lager