Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Overshot Mash PH  (Read 6183 times)

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Overshot Mash PH
« on: January 19, 2013, 11:09:37 am »
I was trying to hit 5.2 and used a little too much acid malt and hit 5.1.  What are the effects?

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Overshot Mash PH
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 11:14:33 am »
Not much, the worst that could happen is that the beer might be slightly sharp in taste, I don't think it will end up tart.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 11:23:24 am »
Not much, the worst that could happen is that the beer might be slightly sharp in taste, I don't think it will end up tart.

Could that be a good thing for a Bohemian Pilsner?

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 11:27:42 am »
5.1 is fine. I remember Kai saying something about how a higher mash pH can create a lower kettle pH. So the relationship between beer pH and mash pH isn't as intuitive as you might think.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 12:12:28 pm »
I wouldn't be as worried about the pH as about the effects of 5.2 on the beer flavor.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 12:29:17 pm »
I wouldn't be as worried about the pH as about the effects of 5.2 on the beer flavor.

Denny, I thinking he was targeting a mash pH of 5.2, not using 5.2? Correct, David?  I think at 5.1 you'll be fine.  The enzymes may have to work a little harder for a little longer, but shouldn't be of concern.  If unsure, do a starch conversion test.  Plus, there is always a +/- on accuracy of pH meters, so you may be closer to 5.2 than 5.1? Conversely, you could be lower than 5.1 as well. :P.  Once, you sparge the pH of your wort and beer will be fine.  I have overshot an occasion more than once, but just dial back a little on acidifing the sparge water.  Beer was fine in the end.  RDWHAHB!

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 12:41:21 pm »

Denny, I thinking he was targeting a mash pH of 5.2, not using 5.2? Correct, David?  I think at 5.1 you'll be fine.  The enzymes may have to work a little harder for a little longer, but shouldn't be of concern.  If unsure, do a starch conversion test.  Plus, there is always a +/- on accuracy of pH meters, so you may be closer to 5.2 than 5.1? Conversely, you could be lower than 5.1 as well. :P.  Once, you sparge the pH of your wort and beer will be fine.  I have overshot an occasion more than once, but just dial back a little on acidifing the sparge water.  Beer was fine in the end.  RDWHAHB!

Hoser, that is correct.  I'm using acid malt, not 5.2 Stabilizer.  I don't use that stuff.

I actually did not acidify the sparge water so I think I'm good. Thanks!

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 01:36:19 pm »
Was that a room temp pH measurement?  5.2 is already on the low side if it was.  5.1 is more so.  The body might be decreased a bit since the wort fermentability will be higher.  It might be a little more tart, but if the sparging water was not acidified, maybe the kettle wort pH won't be that low. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 01:46:52 pm »
Hey Martin!  It was 5.1 at room temp.  Bru'n water told me to use much more Acid Malt than I was accustomed-1.8# to get to 5.2. 

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline mabrungard

• Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 06:16:35 am »
Hey Martin!  It was 5.1 at room temp.  Bru'n water told me to use much more Acid Malt than I was accustomed-1.8# to get to 5.2. 

Dave

That is a problem with acid malt, it can be variable.  That is why I don't recommend it.  I'm more comfortable using lactic with a known strength. 

I welcome reports from any brewers about their results using  the amount of acid malt recommended by Bru'n Water and the resulting mash pH.  The acidity contribution that I've used in Bru'n Water was based on Weyermann's rule of thumb with 0.1 pH drop per percent of grist.  It could easily be off since I don't use that stuff and I haven't heard from anyone that does.  My ears are open!
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 06:48:44 am »

Dave

That is a problem with acid malt, it can be variable.  That is why I don't recommend it.  I'm more comfortable using lactic with a known strength. 

I welcome reports from any brewers about their results using  the amount of acid malt recommended by Bru'n Water and the resulting mash pH.  The acidity contribution that I've used in Bru'n Water was based on Weyermann's rule of thumb with 0.1 pH drop per percent of grist.  It could easily be off since I don't use that stuff and I haven't heard from anyone that does.  My ears are open!

Martin,

It was only off .1 and that is well within the margin of error for the PH tester.  I just wanted to let you know that the spreasheet asked for a lot of acid malt versus what I have used in the past.  I'm using it for all my brews now and it's a great tool.  Thanks again for putting it together!

Maybe it's time to just buy some lactic acid and take the guess work out of the equation like you said.  I've had good results from acid malt but why bother when I can be more precise?

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 07:18:49 am »
FWIW, I use Bru'n Water and I also use acid malt for any situation where I need to lower mash pH.  When I plug in my grist in Bru'n Water, I simply omit the acid malt.  Then, I just add acid malt to lower the pH to my desired target.  I use the Weyermann rule of thumb that Martin mentioned, and I've never had an issue.  For example, yesterday I brewed a pilsner for which Bru'n Water projected a mash pH of 5.7.  I added 3.2% acid malt to the grist and my mash pH was between 5.3-5.4, which was my target.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline mabrungard

• Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 12:16:30 pm »
Matt, What does Bru'n Water tell you if you input that acid malt into the grain bill.  Does the estimated mash pH and the observed pH agree?  That is useful information for my calibration use. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 03:07:56 pm »
Matt, What does Bru'n Water tell you if you input that acid malt into the grain bill.  Does the estimated mash pH and the observed pH agree?  That is useful information for my calibration use.

I get 5.2 on Bru'n Water when I input the acid malt.  So, it's approximately .1 pH lower than my actual reading.  But, I will qualify this by openly admitting that I am measuring pH at room temperature with ColorpHast strips.  I always add .3 pH to whatever I get on the strip.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 03:24:39 pm »
Martin,

When I put in 8oz of acid malt for a 10G batch of Pilsner, Bru'n water showed a PH of 5.4.  It didn't go to 5.2 until I hit 1.6#.  I ended up putting in 1.8 since that is all I had.

The PH came in at 5.1 at room temp.  I have a Hanna PH meter.

Dave
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 10:57:33 am by davidgzach »
Dave Zach