Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Overshot Mash PH  (Read 6181 times)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Overshot Mash PH
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 08:07:30 am »
This is good info to have since I am an acid malt user. Thanks, guys!
Jesse

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 09:40:16 am »
David,

Do you mind sharing the grist and water info. I'd like to run it through the model I have.

Kai

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 10:50:42 am »
Calcium-32, Magnesium-9.6, Sodium-19, Sulfate-41, Chloride-39, Bicarbonate-24 (although not listed on the report and filled in by Bru'n Water).  Alkalinity-51 and Hardness 118.

For some reason, my Bru'n water spreadsheet had some different numbers.  When I plugged these in and checked the Mash PH again, it was at 5.1........go figure!   :o

I just ordered a new report and will adjust all my spreadsheets accordingly.  My local Ace hardware store graciously ordered in some Pickling Lime for me so I'll be good to go from here.  Hopefully......

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 10:56:04 am »
Thanks. What was the grain bill and either the mash thickness or sparge water and grist weight.

Kai

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 11:07:58 am »
Thanks. What was the grain bill and either the mash thickness or sparge water and grist weight.

Kai

17# Pilsen, 2# Light Munich, 1.8# Acid Malt, 1# CaraPils.  Mashed with 6.8g to get to 153F.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline BrewQwest

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2013, 07:34:21 pm »
Um... Kai... anybody... this thread is hanging in limbo.... Kai, what were the results of you plugging in the info you wanted???? cheers!!
On a never-ending journey for the perfect pint of beer...

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2013, 07:30:57 am »
BrewQuest, sorry about the delay. Don't worry about PMing me when I seem to have forgotten about a thread.

When I put your data into the Brewer's Friend water calculator I get a predicted mash pH of 4.94. That is 8+% acidulated malt in this grist. No surprise that it is that low. That also matches Weyermann's rule of thumb of about 0.1 pH drop per % acid malt. When I replace the acid malt with Pilsner I get a pH of 5.71. That's about 0.092 pH drop per 1 %.

I saved the settings to this link: http://www.brewersfriend.com/mash-chemistry-and-brewing-water-calculator/?id=X2XN944

I would have gone with just 0.6 lb of acid malt. That's about 3% of the grist and should have gotten you to a pH around 5.4.

Kai
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 07:36:03 am by Kaiser »