General Category > All Grain Brewing

Overshot Mash PH

<< < (2/5) > >>

hoser:

--- Quote from: denny on January 19, 2013, 12:12:28 PM ---I wouldn't be as worried about the pH as about the effects of 5.2 on the beer flavor.

--- End quote ---

Denny, I thinking he was targeting a mash pH of 5.2, not using 5.2? Correct, David?  I think at 5.1 you'll be fine.  The enzymes may have to work a little harder for a little longer, but shouldn't be of concern.  If unsure, do a starch conversion test.  Plus, there is always a +/- on accuracy of pH meters, so you may be closer to 5.2 than 5.1? Conversely, you could be lower than 5.1 as well. :P.  Once, you sparge the pH of your wort and beer will be fine.  I have overshot an occasion more than once, but just dial back a little on acidifing the sparge water.  Beer was fine in the end.  RDWHAHB!

davidgzach:

--- Quote from: hoser on January 19, 2013, 12:29:17 PM ---
--- Quote from: denny on January 19, 2013, 12:12:28 PM ---I wouldn't be as worried about the pH as about the effects of 5.2 on the beer flavor.

--- End quote ---

Denny, I thinking he was targeting a mash pH of 5.2, not using 5.2? Correct, David?  I think at 5.1 you'll be fine.  The enzymes may have to work a little harder for a little longer, but shouldn't be of concern.  If unsure, do a starch conversion test.  Plus, there is always a +/- on accuracy of pH meters, so you may be closer to 5.2 than 5.1? Conversely, you could be lower than 5.1 as well. :P.  Once, you sparge the pH of your wort and beer will be fine.  I have overshot an occasion more than once, but just dial back a little on acidifing the sparge water.  Beer was fine in the end.  RDWHAHB!

--- End quote ---

Hoser, that is correct.  I'm using acid malt, not 5.2 Stabilizer.  I don't use that stuff.

I actually did not acidify the sparge water so I think I'm good. Thanks!

Dave

mabrungard:
Was that a room temp pH measurement?  5.2 is already on the low side if it was.  5.1 is more so.  The body might be decreased a bit since the wort fermentability will be higher.  It might be a little more tart, but if the sparging water was not acidified, maybe the kettle wort pH won't be that low. 

davidgzach:
Hey Martin!  It was 5.1 at room temp.  Bru'n water told me to use much more Acid Malt than I was accustomed-1.8# to get to 5.2. 

Dave

mabrungard:

--- Quote from: davidgzach on January 19, 2013, 01:46:52 PM ---Hey Martin!  It was 5.1 at room temp.  Bru'n water told me to use much more Acid Malt than I was accustomed-1.8# to get to 5.2. 

Dave

--- End quote ---

That is a problem with acid malt, it can be variable.  That is why I don't recommend it.  I'm more comfortable using lactic with a known strength. 

I welcome reports from any brewers about their results using  the amount of acid malt recommended by Bru'n Water and the resulting mash pH.  The acidity contribution that I've used in Bru'n Water was based on Weyermann's rule of thumb with 0.1 pH drop per percent of grist.  It could easily be off since I don't use that stuff and I haven't heard from anyone that does.  My ears are open!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version