General Category > General Homebrew Discussion

Brew ruined??? Vodka drip in wort....

<< < (4/7) > >>

mswilliams1975:
It seems all it OK as of now the beer has started to ferment and is off to the races. Thank you all for the input.

tschmidlin:
Just remember, it was less than an ounce of vodka.  An ounce of 40% ABV vodka diluted in 5 gallons of liquid will increase the alcohol of the liquid by about 0.06%.

garc_mall:

--- Quote from: tschmidlin on January 21, 2013, 10:24:52 PM ---Just remember, it was less than an ounce of vodka.  An ounce of 40% ABV vodka diluted in 5 gallons of liquid will increase the alcohol of the liquid by about 0.06%.

--- End quote ---

And finally, Tom shows up with the math I was too lazy to do. Thanks Tom!  ;D

Jimmy K:
This is why people use vodka. Water is fine in the airlock unless some of it gets sucked back in - then who knows what bugs drifted into the water that is now in the beer.  Vodka can get sucked in without worry as it will kill anything airborn that lands on it.

micsager:

--- Quote from: davidgzach on January 20, 2013, 12:41:03 PM ---
--- Quote from: denny on January 20, 2013, 12:04:50 PM ---When I started brewing I used vodka in the airlock.  When the bottle ran out I switched to tap water.  In hundreds of batches it's never been a problem to use tap water.

--- End quote ---

+1.  I now put 1-2 sprays of my stan stan bottle up the stem and a top with tap water.  No issues.

Dave

--- End quote ---

+1, this is exactly what I do. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version