Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What 10 gal fermenter?  (Read 13973 times)

Offline wyobrew

• 1st Kit
  • Gillette, Wy
What 10 gal fermenter?
« on: January 20, 2013, 04:28:09 am »
I'm stepping up to 10 gal batches. I currently have several carboys of various sizes that I ferment in. Splitting the batch into two fermenters is an option and I'll do that on occasion for dry hop, yeast experiments etc.  I'd like to be able to ferment all 10 gal in one vessel. What do you use for 10 gal batches?
Kris

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
Re: What 10 gal fermenter?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 05:42:15 am »
I am in the same dilemma and want to step up and buy a 14 gallon conical but not ready to spend the money. For now, I like the idea of split batches so that I can use two different yeasts or tinker with one of the batches (dry hop, secondary experiments). With the carboys, I am able to practice better temperature control (water bath) as I do not have a dedicated space or capability to control the temp in a conical just yet.
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline dnicholson

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 06:13:37 am »
If you are not hung up on fermenting in plastic, I had purchased a 15 gal conical tank for about $70 at a farm supply store (try TSC) - think they called it an ejector tank or something like that - had to install a bulkhead 1/3 way up on tank to load kegs from and save the yeast. Had to build a stand (on wheels) -  total cost was under $100 - works great

Offline dnicholson

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 06:23:45 am »
As an afterthought - homebrewing on a budget -  it takes a little work but for the sparge water and lauter tun, I went to a local plumbing shop and the gave me a 40 gal electric hot water tank and cut both the tank and insulated shell in half, used the top of the tank for lauter and the bottom for the sparge water (left the element in the bottom half) with the shell and insulation reinstalled. Just make sure the glass lining is intact inside the tank. I comfortably make 16 gal batches - for smaller batches, simply use a 20 gal heater instead.

Offline dnicholson

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 07:02:50 am »
Try this http://www.tank-depot.com/product.aspx?id=854 and look for "inductor" tanks - listed at $74.99 for 15 gal (mine is 15 gal but actually holds 16 gals easily)

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 07:55:01 am »
Or a 15 gallon Sanke keg.
Brew on

Offline lornemagill

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin/Round Rock, TX
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 08:43:42 am »
i have 3 options, splitting into 5 gal buckets, sanke and brew cube.  brew cube is my fave, i drilled it for a spigot.  i bought it from my lhbss and have seen them at the container store.

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 09:04:23 pm »
IMO...a Sanke keg is the solution. I have two and I just treat them like giant carboys. A drilled #10 stopper fits perfectly. 
Pros-
- Stainless
-Cheap (Find them on Craigslist for 50 bucks)
- Unbreakable/Indestrucible
- Easy to Clean (just build a ghetto keg washer with a bucket and a fountain pump)
- Easy to sanitize ( Boil a few gallons of water in it for 10 minutes)
- Can transfer using CO2
Cons
- Heavy when full ( I put mine on wheeled tray)

Other than the ability to drop out trub/harvest yeast I don't see the advantage of a conical for a homebrewer. Especially when you factor in the price!!

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 09:44:39 pm »
They're a little harder to find, but you can also get your hands on 10 and 15 gallon corny kegs and you can get by without any welding. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

narvin

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 11:29:58 pm »
For my Belgian beers, I use the 13 gallon "Vittles Vault" (I think it's marketed as a 55 pound container).  I honestly think 2 carboys/better bottles are easier in general.  Unless you can fill it in place or wheel it to your fermentation chamber, carrying 10 gallons is very difficult.  I love the wide container for Belgian brews, though, but I add the second 5 gallons once it's in place.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 11:38:58 pm by narvin »

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 12:15:58 am »
IMO...a Sanke keg is the solution. I have two and I just treat them like giant carboys. A drilled #10 stopper fits perfectly. 
Pros-
- Stainless
-Cheap (Find them on Craigslist for 50 bucks)
- Unbreakable/Indestrucible
- Easy to Clean (just build a ghetto keg washer with a bucket and a fountain pump)
- Easy to sanitize ( Boil a few gallons of water in it for 10 minutes)
- Can transfer using CO2
Cons
- Heavy when full ( I put mine on wheeled tray)
Cons
- Stolen
Tom Schmidlin

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 10:01:34 am »
True.....important to get them from legitimate sources.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 10:24:18 am »
For my Belgian beers, I use the 13 gallon "Vittles Vault" (I think it's marketed as a 55 pound container).  I honestly think 2 carboys/better bottles are easier in general.  Unless you can fill it in place or wheel it to your fermentation chamber, carrying 10 gallons is very difficult.  I love the wide container for Belgian brews, though, but I add the second 5 gallons once it's in place.

I use one of those for my lambics/other sours. It's true, moving 10 gallons at one time is quite hard. When I do step up to 10 gallon batches, I'll still just use 6 gallon carboys.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 01:15:54 pm »
I use a 15 gallon corny.  Cut the dip tube off an inch and it works great.  I have the chest freezer with a 12" collar on wheels to move it to the brew stand.  There would be no lifting that corny full over the side of the chest freezer.  Transfer out to a pair of kegs with a Y-jumper line and CO2.  Easy as can be.  To clean, fill with hot PBW.  Benefit over a Sanke, I can see in to make sure I have it clean (requires a little brushing some times).

They are about $250.  So not cheap.  But cheaper than a conical.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 01:18:16 pm by dcbc »
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 07:30:01 pm »
I've been thinking lately that one of these would make a great fermenter for large batches. You could probably modify the lid to take an airlock and seal better, though you probably don't really need to make it seal better. Positive pressure will keep out oxygen during fermentation.
http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-4060-60-Quart-Aluminum/dp/B0000BXHL4/ref=sr_1_2_m?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1358821584&sr=1-2&keywords=bayou+classic+kettle+50
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958