General Category > Equipment and Software

What 10 gal fermenter?

<< < (6/7) > >>

Jimmy K:

--- Quote from: Pinski on January 22, 2013, 03:49:26 PM ---
--- Quote from: mtnrockhopper on January 22, 2013, 03:02:29 PM ---By the way - any thoughts how you'll handle such a large fermenter?  10 gallons of liquid will weight ~80 lbs plus the container. That is significantly harder or impossible to carry, lift for racking, etc.

--- End quote ---
Fill it where you want to ferment it and get a 5 lb CO2 tank, and some transfer hose with QDs to rack for service.

--- End quote ---
Oh I know how I'd handle it. I have a 60 gallon fermenter that I use occasionally. I just wondered if the OP had considered that.

narcout:

--- Quote from: thetooth on January 24, 2013, 11:26:13 AM ---I'd love to have a couple of those, but the cost of them now would be crazy if you can find them at all.

--- End quote ---

You can get new ones for $380 or refurbished ones for $265 from CHI.

I bought a refurbished 10 gallon corny keg from them for $175 a few year ago and love it.

dean_palmer:

--- Quote from: Pinski on January 24, 2013, 09:34:30 AM ---

--- End quote ---

Have you ever experienced any clogging using the gas disconnects?
[/quote]

No, not even the most crazy blowoff has caused the gas connects to clog and I have found the blowoff bucket full of solids after some larger batches with reduced headroom. It simply pumps out whatever happens. Originally I took out the spring and plunger inside the connectors and the poppet in the posts, but after years of doing that I simply stopped as it proved to be a waste of time. I'm sure someone will have had something different, but I've been doing this for a long time now with no issues. I don't change anything in the keg or with the connects. Most batches are 10.5-11 gallons when they hit the fermenters, so that's a lot of headroom to compensate for krausen.

Jimmy K:
The kegs are rated to 125 psi and I imagine the disconnects can take similar pressures (I know they handle 40psi during fast force carbonating). Hop particles and trub are probably no match for those pressures. If it did clog, the pressure would just build until it blew through.

Pinski:

--- Quote from: dean_palmer on January 28, 2013, 09:15:12 AM ---
--- Quote from: Pinski on January 24, 2013, 09:34:30 AM ---

--- End quote ---

Have you ever experienced any clogging using the gas disconnects?

--- End quote ---

No, not even the most crazy blowoff has caused the gas connects to clog and I have found the blowoff bucket full of solids after some larger batches with reduced headroom. It simply pumps out whatever happens. Originally I took out the spring and plunger inside the connectors and the poppet in the posts, but after years of doing that I simply stopped as it proved to be a waste of time. I'm sure someone will have had something different, but I've been doing this for a long time now with no issues. I don't change anything in the keg or with the connects. Most batches are 10.5-11 gallons when they hit the fermenters, so that's a lot of headroom to compensate for krausen.
[/quote]

Good to know, thanks.  Sooo, you don't shorter the out tube either?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version