General Category > Ingredients

Rahr Base Malts and Bru'n Water

<< < (3/4) > >>

Kaiser:
I have known about this issue for a while. It's not just Rahr 2-row that is a poor fit to the pH or acidity estimation based on malt color. Wheat malts tend to have a DI water pH closer to 6 and I once had a vienna malt that has a DI pH at 5.8.

That's a general limitation of all color based pH estimation (grist or beer color based). I just released the new water calculator for Brewer's Friend (http://www.brewersfriend.com/mash-chemistry-and-brewing-water-calculator) and in future releases we plan to integrate it with the recipe editor. That way we can keep pH properties of some malts, like Rahr or Weyermann, in the grain library and the tool doesn't have to estimate their pH from color.

Kai

denny:
Wow, that looks really nice, Kai.  I can't wait to look into it further.

Kaiser:

--- Quote from: denny on January 30, 2013, 08:54:13 AM ---Wow, that looks really nice, Kai.  I can't wait to look into it further.

--- End quote ---

Thanks. The only drawback is that you need internet to use it. I know you mentioned that this is an issue where you brew.

Kai

denny:

--- Quote from: Kaiser on January 30, 2013, 08:57:10 AM ---
--- Quote from: denny on January 30, 2013, 08:54:13 AM ---Wow, that looks really nice, Kai.  I can't wait to look into it further.

--- End quote ---

Thanks. The only drawback is that you need internet to use it. I know you mentioned that this is an issue where you brew.

Kai

--- End quote ---

Yes, it is since I brew in a detached garage.  But I could use it in the house before I brew.

beersk:
So this would go for Rahr Pilsner malt also, I take it...interesting find, I'm glad to know it!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version