General Category > Ingredients

Rahr Base Malts and Bru'n Water

<< < (2/4) > >>

denny:
Maybe the fact that beers made with Rahr pale malt have a higher acidity is the reason I prefer to use it.

tomsawyer:
Assuming that the final beer pH is somewhat influenced by the mash pH, I wonder if the flavor of certain beers are enhanced by lower pH?  Like wine, too high of pH and its flabby.  I'm thinking the sharper flaovrs of citrusy hops might be enhanced by more acid, whereas a malt-forward beer might seem smoother at a higher pH.

mabrungard:

--- Quote from: tomsawyer on January 29, 2013, 12:39:07 PM ---Assuming that the final beer pH is somewhat influenced by the mash pH, I wonder if the flavor of certain beers are enhanced by lower pH?  Like wine, too high of pH and its flabby.  I'm thinking the sharper flaovrs of citrusy hops might be enhanced by more acid, whereas a malt-forward beer might seem smoother at a higher pH.

--- End quote ---

Not necessarily,  Higher pH helps accentuate hops since they are an 'acid'.  The alpha acids do present themselves more with slightly higher pH.  In last yea'rs Water Panel, Colin mentioned that he has noticed that low wort pH reduces the hop expression.  For that reason, I feel that maltier beers tend to present a little better with a slightly low wort pH.  I extrapolate that the reduction in the hop expression allows the malt to shine more and its crisper and cleaner.

tomsawyer:
Well, I had a 50:50 chance of being right.

Is the pKa of an alpha acid known?  That'd tell you if there is something going on as far as what species it is at what pH.

tomsawyer:
Gave myself a nice GIMF thats Google It My Friend or something like that) and then found some pKas.  Not surprisingly the various acids have different pKas, some of the common ones are in the 4.5-6 pH range though.  So I suppose theres some possibility that we are affecting solubility, or flavor due to the form the acid is in.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version