General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

Stir-Plate 3000 yeast stirrer review

<< < (4/4)

--- Quote from: hokerer on January 21, 2013, 05:01:06 PM ---
--- Quote from: DW on January 21, 2013, 03:34:20 PM ---Does it matter what material the flask is made out of?  I noticed some are pyrex, some are borosilicilate.

--- End quote ---

IIRC, Pyrex is simply a particular brand name of borosilicate glassware

--- End quote ---

Correct.  Wikipedia: "Borosilicate glass is sold under such trade names as Kimax, Pyrex, Endural, Schott, or Refmex."

It really depends on your process.  If you want to make the starter, cool and then transfer to the flask, any lab flask will do and you save some $.  If you want to be able to boil and cool in the same flask, then you need some form of borosilicate glass. 

The sticking point on this is your stove.  If you have electric coils, don't bother.  It will crack.  I have a glass top electric which distributes the heat well.  So far I've had no issues......fingers crossed.  If gas you should have no fear of cracking on the stove with Borosilicate.

Or you could use .5 gallon ball jars and step up your starters

If you want borosilicate glass, make sure it is borosilicate glass.  Pyrex products for house goods, which used to be borosilicate, are now tempered soda lime glass. It is a cheaper material which some claim is more likely to fracture under extreme temperature changes. Some flasks being sold may not be borosilicate.

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version