Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Valves for Propane Trim on Brew Cart?  (Read 2417 times)

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
Valves for Propane Trim on Brew Cart?
« on: July 22, 2010, 12:18:20 pm »
I'm finally starting the build on my brew cart.  It will have one propane tank attached to a manifold feeding two of these burners.  http://www.agrisupply.com/product.asp?pn=40282&sid=&eid=   I'll mostly have just one burner running at a time, but I need to be able to trim both burners independently - mainly for convenience.  I'm not automating anything, so I don't need solenoid-type gas valves - just something hand-operated.

My first thought is to use the 1/4-turn valves used as shut-offs for gas stoves and other gas appliances - but I'd like fairly good control, and I'm not sure whether a 1/4-turn valve would provide that.  What kind of valves have others used?  Needle valves?  1/4-turn ball valves?  Other suggestions?  Any suggestion on pipe and valve size for the manifold?  I'm thinking 3/8" or 1/2" brass or black pipe should be fine.  
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 12:41:03 pm by yugamrap »
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Valves for Propane Trim on Brew Cart?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 12:48:23 pm »
I have a very old Sabco Brew Magic on which I recently upgraded the burners.
It runs the propane through the frame and has 1/4 turn ball valves (I think they're ball valves) on 3/8 inch black pipe to each burner, just like you mentioned.  Works very well.
The most difficult thing to find was the combination of fittings to go from the orifice tube on the burners (3/8 flare or something very similar) to the black pipe (3/8 pipe thread).   
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 03:29:29 pm by jeffy »
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline IHBHS

• Assistant Brewer
    • Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 04:07:15 pm »
Bayou Classic sells HP Orifice that have 3/8" MFlare ends that would work. 
Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
www.iceharbor.com

Offline nebiru

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 10:52:27 pm »
I'm using 1/2" gas ball valves on black pipe from Home Depot for my "BREWTOWER".  Works great, even with two burners at once. http://s278.photobucket.com/albums/kk108/nicholasae25/BREWTOWER/