Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Favorite yeast for a Belgian IPA?  (Read 4429 times)

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Favorite yeast for a Belgian IPA?
« on: January 20, 2013, 08:34:36 am »
I was thinking about making a Belgian IPA for my next brew and was wondering what Belgian yeasts work well for this style.  I really liked the Lagunitas example (can't remember the name).  Also, what american hops are a good choice that wouldn't clash with Belgian yeast character.  I have Apollo, Columbus, Citra, Cascade, Simcoe, and Amarillo to choose from.  Thanks, Dan.
Dan Chisholm

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Favorite yeast for a Belgian IPA?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 08:42:02 am »
My favorite Belgian yeasts are WLP500 and WLP530.  I have more experience with the WLP530 -- this yeast will make a nice dry beer, perfect for the Belgian way of thinking.  However it is also a somewhat fussy yeast and will need extra time to ferment -- give it a good 4 to 6 weeks to ferment out all the way or you could have a gusher.

Out of your hop options, my gut says that Apollo would turn out really nice.  While I have never personally tasted it, based on the flavor descriptions I have seen of an "orangey" and spicy character, it sounds like a great meld with Belgian IPA.  Otherwise I'd go with Amarillo which also has a certain tangerine sort of thing going on.  Reminds me of a really strong witbier or something like that.  The other hops will also be great of course, but the two "A" hops would be my personal leanings.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 08:53:42 am »
Thanks for the suggestions Dave.  I like the Westmalle strain better also.
Dan Chisholm

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 09:39:19 am »
Chico :P

I used to love the idea of Belgian IPAs.  However, the more I have had and made, the more I dislike the interplay of the Belgian phenolics combined with the hop flavors and aromas.  I think I'll just stick to regular good ol' fashion IPAs. But, to each their own.

Back in the day, I used WLP500.  If that helps?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 12:10:10 pm »
My go to yeast for Belgian IPA is WY3522.  To me, the tartness of the yeast complements the hops.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 09:19:25 pm »
My go to yeast for Belgian IPA is WY3522.  To me, the tartness of the yeast complements the hops.
I've never used that one.  What temp do you ferment at?
Dan Chisholm

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 09:49:09 pm »
I just made a big IPA with loads of Mt. Hood, Willamette, Columbus and Cascade fermented with 3787 Trappist High Gravity at cooler temperature.  I really like it. 

A friend of mine just did one with the Ardennes strain and I really enjoyed that as well.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 05:22:26 am »
I just made an IPA yesterday and split the 10 gallons into 2, one with 1056 and the other with Saison yeast.  I used a bunch of cascades for bittering and flavor and added  a whole bunch of hi-alpha leaf hops in the last 10 minutes, mostly Horizon.  I think the spiciness of the Saison yeast will complement the citrusy hops, but I guess I'll find out later.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline summy

• Cellarman
  • Roanoke, VA
    • Star City Brewers Guild
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 07:37:07 am »
If I remember correctly, Flying Dog uses wlp400 in their raging b****.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Fementing:
  *Primary -
  *Lagering -

On Tap
 *BPA
 *Denny's BVIP
 *Brunch Stout

In Bottles
 *IIPA
 *RyeIPA
 *Black IPA
 *Red IPA
 *White IPA (entered an all-IPA competition)
  *Kolsch

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 09:42:03 am »
I've never used that one.  What temp do you ferment at?

62-65F
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell