Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 48hrs no fermentation.....Advice?  (Read 2005 times)

Offline mswilliams1975

• Cellarman
48hrs no fermentation.....Advice?
« on: January 21, 2013, 09:31:23 am »
OK so I brewed the kit from NB for the Iresh Red Ale and pitched the Danstar Nottingham Ale Yeast at 70deg F. I have had the ferm vessel at 60 since and I have no fermentaion signs. I have not checked gravity but I have not signs in the airlock and no head what soever on the top of the wort. It looks the same as it did when i poured it in the carboy.
I am going to check gravity this evening to verify. If in fact it has not begun to ferment can I pitch more yeast or anythig else to still fement this batch?
Anything worth having is worth hard to achieve.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: 48hrs no fermentation.....Advice?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 09:46:55 am »
Get a second pack of dry yeast and throw it in there IMMEDIATELY.  Nottingham ale yeast has quality issues and isn't alive on occasion.  It is for this reason that I don't use Nottingham anymore.  US-05 works great in a pinch like this.  Or Munton's or S-04 would be a little more English/Irish in character if you've got either of those.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline amh0001

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 10:06:03 am »
Well another thing is 60 is pretty cold, I would warm it up to around 65 and wait till the 72 hour mark. At that point if nothing or no hydro reading, then re hydrate and repitch.

Offline In The Sand

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 10:25:38 am »
Did you re-hydrate your yeast before pitching?  If so, did it show signs of life?  What was your OG?

I don't know if I would pitch another pack of yeast.  I have had fermentation stall initially.  What was your pitching temp?  I would follow amh0001's advice and warm up the fermentation chamber a bit.
Trey W.

Offline mswilliams1975

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 03:43:17 pm »
OK so it must have been a temp thing. The wife just called and it is fermenting away. Thank you for all the input.
Anything worth having is worth hard to achieve.

Offline topher.bartos

• Cellarman
  • Sometimes Messy, Mostly Successful, Always Fun!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 01:54:05 pm »
Yeah, I was going to say. I wouldn't be anxious until you don't see any activity after 72hrs.
In the works: Nothing

Primary #1: Nothing

Primary #2: Nothing

Keg: Cascade & Mosaic Session IPA