General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

Lacto: Pure Culture or Malt Starter?

<< < (2/3) > >>

erockrph:

--- Quote from: kramerog on January 21, 2013, 09:27:31 PM ---Crooked stave acidfies their mash to a pH of 4.5 when doing sour mashes.  I heard that on a podcast with the brewer.

--- End quote ---

IIRC, it sounded like the first time Chad sour mashed he ended up growing some butyric acid producing bacteria, and it took a really long time for the Brett to break it down to palatable levels. He started acidifying to pH 4.5 after that experience.

reverseapachemaster:
I've done quite a few sour mashes. More specifically, I do what people call sour worting. I've never had an issue with off flavors in the beer. I do limit oxygen exposure as well.

kramerog:
Another thing I remember is that lacto is active at temperatures above 125 F, but not much more while other beer bacteria generally are not.  So it would be advantageous to pitch your grains say at 126 F and allow the wort to slowly cool to 110 F to give your lacto a head start.

Jimmy K:

--- Quote from: kramerog on January 22, 2013, 08:17:03 AM ---Another thing I remember is that lacto is active at temperatures above 125 F, but not much more while other beer bacteria generally are not.  So it would be advantageous to pitch your grains say at 126 F and allow the wort to slowly cool to 110 F to give your lacto a head start.

--- End quote ---

Not sure where you heard that, but this is from SigmaAldrich.

--- Quote ---Lactobacilli have a generation time ranging from 25 to several hundred minutes. The optimal growth temperature ranges from 30 to 40°C, although some thermophilic strains grow well and have highly activated metabolism at temperatures around 45°C.

--- End quote ---
45C is 113F. Unless perhaps they will simply survive 125F while others will not.

kramerog:
Pitching at 126-128 F does not kill the other beer bugs.  They are just inactive in that range while lacto is active allowing the lacto to get a head start. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version