Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: top ten brewing cities  (Read 3383 times)

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
top ten brewing cities
« on: January 30, 2013, 10:23:05 am »
http://blog.seattlepi.com/thepourfool/2013/01/29/americas-ten-best-beer-towns-the-non-fiction-list/

An interesting read.  I have lived in/near or been to 8 of the top ten, just lucky I guess .Let the arguments begin ;)

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
Re: top ten brewing cities
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 10:53:24 am »
This is probably one of the most well researched and reasoned ranking.  I too, have been bemused by many a list.  The Denver-Boulder and Longmont-Fort Collins divides need to be examined (as a resident of this/these/etc.)  Longmont is to Boulder (in relationship) is as equal as Boulder is to Denver (and Denver is to Golden and Golden is to Boulder), but Fort Collins is away enough to be on its own (includes FtCollins, Loveland, Berthuod and maybe Greeley, not to mention the Budweiser plant...(not Craft, but adds to the total bbl produced)).

I think that if things are changing as quickly everywhere like they are here in Colorado, there is no point in arguing about rankings.  Each will have its regional differences to wow us intrepid beer tourists on a yearly basis.

I can't wait to visit and revisit these markets.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 10:53:46 am »
I just read this.  I don't necessarily agree with the order/choices, but I like the article overall.  It's the best "best" list I've seen.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 11:10:50 am »
Wow...quite a slap to the face of Magic Hat.  I'm not a big fan of their beer, but crappy?

And what, no NH?  We have a Redhook, Smuttynose, Portsmouth Brewery, not to mention a whole slew of nano's open or opening ( White Birch, Earth Eagle Brewing, Throwback, Blue Lobster, Moonlight Meadery - I know, not beer )...and of course...Budweiser ;D

And I particularly like the Seattle list, having tried several at NHC last year - Elysian, Snosqualmie Falls, and Black Raven being my favorites.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 12:44:38 pm »
Wow...quite a slap to the face of Magic Hat.  I'm not a big fan of their beer, but crappy?
Is Magic Hat larger than Otter Creek? A slap for either, but I'm never happy with Otter Creek.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 02:08:48 pm »
yeah very interesting. San Diego and Portland our my favorites being from Denver. I personally prefer Portland mainly because of the ease of accessibility. The number of breweries that can be visited on foot is pretty impressive as compared to other decent sized cities
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline stlaleman

• Assistant Brewer
    • Penrose Picobrewery
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 02:09:52 pm »
Can't believe St Louis did not make the list.....

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 08:21:05 am »
I scratching my head over the Asheville portion. Highland is one of the oldest, but I'm not sure why he focused on French Broad. Anyway, one of the criteria was "nationally recognized breweries" and Asheville ain't got 'em. Pisgah tends to get a bit of beer geek press, but in reality they don't distribute much outside of Buncombe County and NC has 100 counties. We did have one mediocre brewery close recently, but several others are opening. Anyway, fine with me Asheville is off his list, more for me without the rest of the world coming to town. ;)

If you are going, here is the local and surrounding area brewery list for Asheville:
Altamont
Asheville Brewing (2 locations)
Blue Mountain Pizza
Brevard Brewing
Catawba Valley
Dry County
French Broad
Frog Level
Green Man
Headwaters
Heinzelmannchen
Highland
LAB
Nantahala
Olde Hickory
Oskar Blues
OysterHouse
Pisgah
Southern Appalachian
Thirsty Monk South
Tipping Point Tavern
Wedge
Wicked Weed

--
Coming in the next two years:
New Belgium
Sierra Nevada
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!