Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: more efficiency questions...  (Read 5497 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: more efficiency questions...
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 02:52:51 pm »
I would say it is probably the crush that would make that big of difference.  How did the grain look after crushing compared to other place?

Basically the same. Ground pretty fine with a lot of powder. All husks cracked.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline imperialstout

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 08:28:07 pm »
goschman, my efficiency varied too depending where I bought the crushed grain. Owner of a LHBS let me mic his mill, turned out to be .055. It prevents stuck sparges but kills efficiency.

Instead of brewing to see where your efficiency is, see if the LHBS will let you mic their mill. If you have a couple of LHBS to choose from pick the one with the smallest setting, assuming it is not too narrow to give a stuck sparge.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 08:23:10 am »
goschman, my efficiency varied too depending where I bought the crushed grain. Owner of a LHBS let me mic his mill, turned out to be .055. It prevents stuck sparges but kills efficiency.

Instead of brewing to see where your efficiency is, see if the LHBS will let you mic their mill. If you have a couple of LHBS to choose from pick the one with the smallest setting, assuming it is not too narrow to give a stuck sparge.

Thanks for the idea. I guess the best solution would be to get my own mill and do it at home. I don't see this happening any time soon.

I will be getting grains from this same shop where I got higher efficicency for my next batch. I will try to remember to report back what my results are though my grist will be different. I have been too lazy to dive into pH and water chemistry so I am hoping most of my efficiency inconsisteny issues are indeed tied to the crush.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 09:01:06 am »
I have been too lazy to dive into pH and water chemistry so I am hoping most of my efficiency inconsisteny issues are indeed tied to the crush.

Even if your efficiency is fine there is still a benefit to knowing the basics about mash pH and how it is affected by the water and the grist.

Kai