General Category > All Grain Brewing

Big beer efficiency and fermentation question

<< < (2/5) > >>

AmandaK:

--- Quote from: denny on January 22, 2013, 01:51:09 PM ---You don't say whether you fly sparge or or batch sparge, but if you batch sparge a longer sparge won't make any difference.

--- End quote ---

He batch sparges, which is why I was confused on how a longer time spent sparging would increase efficiency.

At any rate, the main factors for increasing my efficiency (even on 1.070+ beers) was a tighter crush (thanks Denny!) and a thinner mash. I mash nearly everything at 2 qts/lb if my 10 gallon mash tun can hold it.

hokerer:
Another strategy you might want to consider is to simply alter your efficiency targets for your big beers rather than chasing a bunch of possible tweaks/fixes.  As long as you're consistent, even it is lower, you'll be able to calculate and hit your volume/gravity targets just fine.

a10t2:

--- Quote from: AmandaK on January 22, 2013, 01:59:50 PM ---He batch sparges, which is why I was confused on how a longer time spent sparging would increase efficiency.
--- End quote ---

With either method, it would increase efficiency if conversion isn't complete at the end of the mash rest.

dmtaylor:
I find conversion is done in 15-20 minutes, and certainly within an hour.  Mash time is not a factor in my experience.  YMMV?

AmandaK:

--- Quote from: a10t2 on January 22, 2013, 02:11:33 PM ---
--- Quote from: AmandaK on January 22, 2013, 01:59:50 PM ---He batch sparges, which is why I was confused on how a longer time spent sparging would increase efficiency.
--- End quote ---

With either method, it would increase efficiency if conversion isn't complete at the end of the mash rest.

--- End quote ---

True. I was making a quick assumption that conversion was complete after 60 minutes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version