Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Apricot Flavored Syrup  (Read 4477 times)

Offline drusty

• 1st Kit
Apricot Flavored Syrup
« on: November 15, 2012, 07:09:36 am »
I've been working on brewing an Apricot Wheat along the lines of a Pyramid or the one from Ottos is State College, PA.  I've tried with pureed frozen apricots and the alcohol based flavoring that comes in the small 4 oz. bottles.  Both of these have come out fine but not exactly what I'm looking for.  I was told on a tour of Ottos that they use an apricot flavored syrup that they add to secondary(rumor is Pyramid does the same) but they wouldn't go into much more detail.  I've done some googling looking for something like a flavored high fructose corn syrup but have come up short.  Does anyone have an idea on what type of syrup they may be using and where to buy it?

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Apricot Flavored Syrup
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 07:17:40 am »
What they use most likely isn't "syrup" but rather concentrated apricot juice such as this -

http://www.tidestrading.com/N5Content/pdf/apricot%20juice%20concentrate%2068%20brix%20spec.pdf

I have no idea where you could buy small quantities though.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 08:50:48 am »
quick google search returns...
http://www.preparedpantry.com/apricot-syrup.aspx

not sure it's exactly what you want but it's worth a try
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline drusty

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 09:19:50 am »
quick google search returns...
http://www.preparedpantry.com/apricot-syrup.aspx

not sure it's exactly what you want but it's worth a try

That was the closest thing I saw when I looked, pancake syrup basically.  I'll probably try something like this for my next batch and see how it turns out.  The real nice thing about the alcohol based one is that you can a little to the keg and increase it until you get your desired taste.  I guess I was hoping that someone had already tried the syrup and had some feedback.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 02:24:26 pm »
I used a date syrup which is similar. Dates are the first ingredient, but there is also added sugar. I would have preferred something only made with dates, but couldn't find it. The date flavor was still prominent though and came through in the beer. I'd use it again.  --- So I guess it depends on how much sugar they've added to that apricot, but it will probably work pretty well.  Might get expensive too, I'd guess you'd need two or three bottles for 5 gal.

A big advantage of the syrups is they are basically packaged sterile and you don't have to worry about fruit bits.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline AleForce

• Cellarman
    • AleForce1
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 02:37:59 pm »
Off We Go Into The Wild Brew Yonder!

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 06:47:14 am »
What about something like http://www.naturesflavors.com/index.php/catalogsearch/result/?q=apricot ?

I'd expect that to be similar to the small apricot flavoring bottles.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline drusty

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 06:21:32 pm »
I found this at Walmart of all places, an all natural apricot preserve.  It lists the ingredients as: Apricots, Corn Syrup, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Apricot Puree Concentrate, Sugar, Pectin, Citric Acid.  Does anyone see a reason I couldn't try adding this to secondary?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Apricot-Preserves-18-oz/10315449#Item+Description

Offline andrew000141

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 07:00:12 pm »
i recently did a saison with natures promise organic raspberry syrup and a hefe with strawberry organic syrup.. both turned out VERY sweet, i do not recommend using syrups. i suspect theres some sort of unfermentable sugar in them
Fermenting:
Cherry melomel

In Kegs:
Saison
Irish Red
Thanksgiving Cider
Rye Pale Ale
IIPA
Ayinger Maibock clone
Moose drool clone

Bottles:
Mead

Keep your nose out of trouble and no trouble will come to you

Offline rbclay

• Assistant Brewer
  • Northfield, MN
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 07:44:25 pm »
I found this at Walmart of all places, an all natural apricot preserve.  It lists the ingredients as: Apricots, Corn Syrup, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Apricot Puree Concentrate, Sugar, Pectin, Citric Acid.  Does anyone see a reason I couldn't try adding this to secondary?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Apricot-Preserves-18-oz/10315449#Item+Description

Not sure I would call this "all natural"?!? I would think pectin would not be a good addition, not to mention HFCS and regular corn syrup.
I like the Oregon purees. They're more concentrated than just using fruit. I find you need to use a boatload of real fruit to come across in the aroma. Adding puree at 3-4 days into primary seems to work good for me. I like a good apricot wheat.
Randy Clay
Milltown Mashers
https://www.facebook.com/groups/404574082932834/
BJCP Certified

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 07:46:59 pm »
Do. It. Anyway.

WTF do you have to lose?

RDWHAHB.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 11:01:37 pm »
I would not put jam in my beer.  But feel free :)

I'd mix some into a glass of beer first to see if I like it.  It won't be as sweet after fermenting, but it should give you an idea.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline drusty

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 10:13:22 am »
I did a batch with Vintners Apricot Puree, a single 49 oz. can for a 5 gallon batch added to secondary.  The beer is great but just not what I'm trying reproduce.  The apricot flavor is much more subtle and not as pronounced as what I'm looking for.  I've been looking for frozen apricots in the store with no luck, I may try to use canned apricots and see how that works out.  I may have to hijack a delivery truck to Otto's to get a supply of what ever they are using.

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 10:20:26 am »
I'd use this stuff from Olive Nation, it's of much better quality than the stuff you get from your LHBS and doesn't taste nearly as artificial:

http://www.olivenation.com/Pure-Apricot-Extract-P552C55.aspx

Titrate up from a small sample to your gallon size based on taste.  Maybe even dial it back 10% just to be on the safe side.  You can always add more, but you can't subtract.

The other option is to add your fresh/frozen fruit to either the boil kettle or the secondary (2lbs/gallon of beer).  I wouldn't be concerned about pectic haze if you are making a wheat beer. Then adjust with the extract afterwards to get the beer the flavor and aroma profile you are looking for.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 10:23:01 am »
I did a batch with Vintners Apricot Puree, a single 49 oz. can for a 5 gallon batch added to secondary.  The beer is great but just not what I'm trying reproduce.  The apricot flavor is much more subtle and not as pronounced as what I'm looking for.  I've been looking for frozen apricots in the store with no luck, I may try to use canned apricots and see how that works out.  I may have to hijack a delivery truck to Otto's to get a supply of what ever they are using.
Does the puree taste good? It's probably a matter of quantity - 49 oz is 3 lbs. That is not much fruit for a 5gallon batch. I would try with two or three cans to get noticable apricot flavor.
AHA Member since 2006