General Category > Ingredients

Prefered base malt for brewing?

<< < (2/4) > >>

--- Quote from: hopfenundmalz on January 22, 2013, 04:10:33 PM ---What are you making?
For some British Ales I like GP, for others I like MO. I do like GP for a sweet-malty flavor.

--- End quote ---

I never know what I'm making until the spirit strikes me.  It looks like the new supplier also has some basic 2-row also but I'm interested in something with a little character.  I brew fairly frequently but not enough to keep two different types of base malt on hand.

I haven't brewed with Golden promise for years, could be interesting to try.  I think I've only ever used it for Scottish ales. 

I regularly use both Thomas Fawcett Maris Otter and Great Western Northwest Pale Ale (Washington Select) and really like both.  I often blend them as well, using more or less of one or the other depending on what I'm going for.  If I were you I would get one or the other and then alternate sacks when you start to run low.  Best of both worlds :)

More than anything else I use GW california select and/or munich (weyermann when I am feeling wealthy and not careing overly about environmental impact and gambrinus otherwise) I'll grab a sack of pils (again, weyermann for the richie rich days and gambrinus or GW others)

of the ones listed, TF MO and GW NWPA.  Add in some Best or Weyermann Pilsner and I could get through just about everything I regularly make.

None from the list. Simpsons Maris Otter is what I can easily get over here in the UK.

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version