Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Brewing Cookbook  (Read 6690 times)

Offline ritko1

• 1st Kit
Beer Brewing Cookbook
« on: January 22, 2013, 04:00:15 pm »
I was wondering if there was a cookbook with a collection of homebrew recipes? An on line search is not getting me what I'm looking for precisely. All I'm finding are mostly reference books. I have john Palmers " How to Brew" as well as the Zymurgy magazines. They are both excellent with some great recipes,  however it would be nice if I wanted to make a dark stout or an IPA not to have to search through 10 different books for a recipe.  I'm still very new at brewing and nowhere near ready to craft my own recipes. Still I thought it might be cheaper to buy the ingredients separately rather then in a kit.

Thanks,
Ritko1

Offline Titanium Brewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • Westchester, CA
    • The Peoples Republic of the Garage™
Re: Beer Brewing Cookbook
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 04:16:22 pm »
Brewing Classic Styles: 80 Winning Recipes Anyone Can Brew
AHA #210799

My wife said I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn laughing.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 06:47:38 pm »

+1

It's great that it is designed so both extract and all-grain brewers can use all the recipes. I still turn to BCS when I want to brew a new style that I'm not too familiar with. It's an excellent resource regardless of your level of brewing.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline mpietropaoli

• Brewer
Beer Brewing Cookbook
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 07:31:21 pm »
buy it, brew them, love them. 
Bubblin': helles
Flowin': IIPA, Doppelbock, Flanders
Sittin': More Flanders, Braison,
Thinkin': wit, more helles

Offline brew1314rw

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 07:51:31 pm »
I agree with Brewing Classic Styles.  I would also mention Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher.  It has a lot of good recipes and descriptions/notes on different ingredients for branching out as you go.

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 10:01:20 am »
+1 to Radical Brewing and BCS

Also, the two books by the szamatulskis (I probably butchered their name) Beer Captured and Clone Brews. That has a lot of good recipes which are clones of well known craft beers.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 10:04:27 am »
Take a look at the AHA recipe database, too...

http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/BeerRecipes

Mark, I gotta disagree on those books.  I do, however, find them great for starting fires in the woodstove.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 10:09:51 am »
Denny,

I never used the books, I have used 1 recipe in my entire brewing career. However, I have flipped through the books and used some of their ideas to put together recipes of my own. I cannot comment on the quality of the recipes inside any of the books.  :-X

Oh, and you spelled my name wrong 8)

But I agree with Denny's recommendation of the AHA recipe database, and most homebrew shops have their own recipe books, which can be decent as well (More of a mixed bag though)

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 10:11:23 am »
Oops!  I know better. I'll blame it on only one cup of coffee so far!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 11:10:21 am »
Are you talking about all of those books garc mentioned, or just the last two?  I really like the few beers I've brewed from BCS, and Radical Brewing is probably my favorite brewing book and I think it is hands down the best resource for odd ingredients.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 12:08:33 pm »
I've only ever flipped through Clone Brews, but I remember saying "this doesn't seem right" to a few of the recipes for beers I'm familiar with. I know there's more than one way to skin a cat, but when a brewery lists their ingredients on their website and a clone recipe is way off in the specialty malts, then I don't have high hopes for that recipe.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 12:37:28 pm »
I've only ever flipped through Clone Brews, but I remember saying "this doesn't seem right" to a few of the recipes for beers I'm familiar with. I know there's more than one way to skin a cat, but when a brewery lists their ingredients on their website and a clone recipe is way off in the specialty malts, then I don't have high hopes for that recipe.

That's exactly how I felt about Clone Brews. I got it for Christmas a couple years ago, read it, became skeptical for the same reasons and returned it. Got Brew Like a Monk.  ;D
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 12:50:13 pm »
Are you talking about all of those books garc mentioned, or just the last two?  I really like the few beers I've brewed from BCS, and Radical Brewing is probably my favorite brewing book and I think it is hands down the best resource for odd ingredients.

Damn, I AM asleep!  I meant only the last 2.  BCS and Radical Brewing are great books.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline ritko1

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 06:35:17 pm »
Thanks for all the replies. Brewing Classic Styles and Radical Brewing sounds worth checking out.

Quote from: garc_mall link=topic=14510.msg184446#msg184446
But I agree with Denny's recommendation of the AHA recipe database, and most homebrew shops have their own recipe books, which can be decent as well (More of a mixed bag though)

I went to Kuhnhenn Brewery last weekend and was really impressed with their beers. Now I'm wishing I'd gone into their shop to see if they  sell any of their recipes.  I did get a tour of their factory tho and had a really great time. Great owners and employees too. Half of them where walking around with a brew in their hands. What a job eh?

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 08:05:08 pm »
Keep in mind that the recipe is probably the least important aspect of brewing.  10 people brewing the exact same recipe will come up with 10 different beers.
I like Designing Great Beers over any of the previously mentioned books(I have all of them).  It gives you insight on creating your own recipes that fit your system and brewing style.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico