Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Don't make yeast starters from dry yeast? WTF?  (Read 10395 times)

Offline imperialstout

• Cellarman
Don't make yeast starters from dry yeast? WTF?
« on: January 23, 2013, 07:22:13 am »
Just read in "Brewing Classic Styles" by Jamil Zainasheff and John J. Palmer page 285, bottom of page, NOT to make a yeast starter from dry yeast. Claim it is much cheaper to buy more yeast and hydrate. Surely not everyone who makes a yeast starter uses White Labs or Wyeast.

As for cost, Wyeast would have cost me $20 from Northern Brewer, $6 for yeast and $14 shipping.

Can anyone think of a reason NOT to make a starter from dry yeast? The goal is to increase cell count. How does liquid yeast work well for starters but it is better just to pitch re-hydrated dry yeast?

Will send the authors an email and see what John Palmer has to say in his book, "How to Brew."

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: Don't make yeast starters from dry yeast? WTF?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 07:26:50 am »
Just read in "Brewing Classic Styles" by Jamil Zainasheff and John J. Palmer page 285, bottom of page, NOT to make a yeast starter from dry yeast. Claim it is much cheaper to buy more yeast and hydrate. Surely not everyone who makes a yeast starter uses White Labs or Wyeast.

As for cost, Wyeast would have cost me $20 from Northern Brewer, $6 for yeast and $14 shipping.

Can anyone think of a reason NOT to make a starter from dry yeast? The goal is to increase cell count. How does liquid yeast work well for starters but it is better just to pitch re-hydrated dry yeast?

Will send the authors an email and see what John Palmer has to say in his book, "How to Brew."

The reason dry yeast starters are not recommended is that part of the process of creating dry yeast involves maximizing the yeast's internal nutrients and such at the moment before drying.  Making a starter with dry yeast actually uses up those nutrients and such.

That's not the case with wet yeast and, since wet yeast cell counts are about half of dry, starters are pretty much always recommended.
Joe

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 07:35:14 am »
i have made starters before.  i use only part of the pack and make a starter.  in addition i have used a full pack of yeast and then brewed on top of that cake a few times before getting rid of it.  both work just fine
Don AHA member

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 07:57:39 am »
If you have extra wort laying around from a previous batch, then making a starter isn't such a bad thing to do if you really want to.  But if you don't have spare wort, then keep in mind that you are blowing extra money on extract to make the yeast starter.  Dry yeast is all about high quality, less fuss and less money.  If you're going to mess around making a yeast starter, well, you're wasting your time AND money IMHO.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline jjflash

• Assistant Brewer
  • New Mexico
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 08:33:41 am »
Only time I have found it useful to make a starter with dry yeast is stuck fermentation for a big beer.
Best to pitch really active yeast starter to kick start fermentation again.
Sprinkling dry yeast on stuck fermentation has never worker for me.
---JJ---

I don't know half of you half as well as I should, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
- Bilbo Baggins

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 08:54:23 am »

The reason dry yeast starters are not recommended is that part of the process of creating dry yeast involves maximizing the yeast's internal nutrients and such at the moment before drying.  Making a starter with dry yeast actually uses up those nutrients and such.

That's not the case with wet yeast and, since wet yeast cell counts are about half of dry, starters are pretty much always recommended.

Making a starter with dry yeast compromises yeast health and viability as hokerer alludes to.  Repitching slurring from formerly dry yeast or making a starter from that would be proper.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 08:59:01 am »
Sprinkling dry yeast on stuck fermentation has never worker for me.

yeast doesn't do so well when rehydrated with alcohol.

hookerer brought up important points about dry yeast and their internal reserves.

Compared to liquid yeast it is not so mych a matter of cell count but what we generally call "yeast health". For liquid yeast a starter is not only recommended for increasing the cell count but also for replenishing reserves that the yeast was living on while sitting in the fridge. If those reserves are replenished, and not spent again b/c the starter was sitting in the fridge for a week, then the lag phase will be shorter and the yeast will perform better in your beer.

Kai

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Don't make yeast starters from dry yeast? WTF?
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 09:07:58 am »
If you have extra wort laying around from a previous batch, then making a starter isn't such a bad thing to do if you really want to.  But if you don't have spare wort, then keep in mind that you are blowing extra money on extract to make the yeast starter.  Dry yeast is all about high quality, less fuss and less money.  If you're going to mess around making a yeast starter, well, you're wasting your time AND money IMHO.

Theoretically, it is a bad idea since dry yeast already have their glycol reserves stored and in suspension and making a starter could cause them to blow their reserves. The idea of making a starter is to grow up enough cells. With dry yeast you can be fairly certain on the # of viable cells in the packet so a starter is not needed and could be detrimental if the starter is too small.

Offline imperialstout

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 12:12:35 pm »
Thank you all very much. I use dry yeast as no LHBS carries liquid and it is too expensive to order on-line. Had I not read  "Brewing Classic Styles" and posted the dry yeast question, brew day would have involved destroying dry yeast on an expensive stirrer in an expensive flask.

Maybe the monitors can create a sticky not to make yeast starters from dry yeast.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 12:44:41 pm »
Thank you all very much. I use dry yeast as no LHBS carries liquid and it is too expensive to order on-line. Had I not read  "Brewing Classic Styles" and posted the dry yeast question, brew day would have involved destroying dry yeast on an expensive stirrer in an expensive flask.

Maybe the monitors can create a sticky not to make yeast starters from dry yeast.

You wouldn't be destroying it, exactly.  You would probably be pitching a sub-optimal starter and going through unnecessary trouble.

On the positive side, you can use that stir plate and flask to make starters from stored slurry after you harvest it from your fermenter.  Or grow up some yeast from a commercial bottle, which can be fun.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 09:03:10 pm »
If you read the instructions for US-05 it says plain as day, "Sprinkle into wort".  And I swear Nottingham use to say, "Do not aerate".  But it also talks about Lysine so, you know, You didn't say the magic word!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 09:05:49 pm by liquidbrewing »
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 10:23:52 pm »
If you read the instructions for US-05 it says plain as day, "Sprinkle into wort".  And I swear Nottingham use to say, "Do not aerate".  But it also talks about Lysine so, you know, You didn't say the magic word!

Quote from: http://www.fermentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/SFA_US05.pdf
rehydration instructions
Sprinkle the yeast in minimum 10 times its weight of sterile water or wort at 27°C ± 3°C (80°F ± 6°F). Leave to rest 15 to 30 minutes.
Gently stir for 30 minutes, and pitch the resultant cream into the fermentation vessel.
Alternatively, pitch the yeast directly in the fermentation vessel providing the temperature of the wort is above 20°C (68°F). Progressively sprinkle
the dry yeast into the wort ensuring the yeast covers all the surface of wort available in order to avoid clumps. Leave for 30 minutes, then mix the
wort using aeration or by wort addition.

so according to germentis you can go either way but it looks like they prefer water rehydration
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 10:26:03 pm by morticaixavier »
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 07:01:18 am »
Yes, Fermentis has instructions for both. I'm pretty sure "Sprinkle onto wort" is the sales line to encourage purchase. And it does work pretty well, but if you want maximum viability (like for a big beer) you really should rehydrate.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 07:47:31 am »
when you sprinkle it into your wort, you really aren't re-hydrating in alcohol though
Don AHA member

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 07:53:03 am »
when you sprinkle it into your wort, you really aren't re-hydrating in alcohol though
No, but from what I hear (I haven't asked the yeast personally) is that their cell walls are inactive and some will die from the rush of sugars entering their cells. Once rehydrated in water they can fight the osmotic pressure.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958