General Category > Equipment and Software

Warming Fermenters a Few Degrees

(1/4) > >>

a10t2:
I foolishly set up for a lager batch this weekend without thinking about the fact that I already have a couple ales in the fermentation chamber. My garage is holding about 2°C, so I don't need to warm it too much above ambient, and I only need to worry about it for maybe 4-7 days before it can go in the chamber with the ales.

Once fermentation kicks in it should help with keeping the temps up, but I'm wondering if anyone has a proven solution for warming a fermenter without temperature control. Warm water bath? Chemical hot packs? Move it in and out of the fermentation chamber a hundred times a day?

morticaixavier:

--- Quote from: a10t2 on January 23, 2013, 12:52:01 PM ---I foolishly set up for a lager batch this weekend without thinking about the fact that I already have a couple ales in the fermentation chamber. My garage is holding about 2°C, so I don't need to warm it too much above ambient, and I only need to worry about it for maybe 4-7 days before it can go in the chamber with the ales.

Once fermentation kicks in it should help with keeping the temps up, but I'm wondering if anyone has a proven solution for warming a fermenter without temperature control. Warm water bath? Chemical hot packs? Move it in and out of the fermentation chamber a hundred times a day?

--- End quote ---

water bath with fish tank heater? haven't tried it but it might work.

denny:
I use a large tub of water that has an aquarium heater on a timer in the water.

kramerog:
Standard $ 25-35 aquarium heaters have temperature ranges that do not go much below 70 F.  The one I have theoretically goes down to 65 F but in fact goes down only as far as 67 F.  Maybe you could use a water bath for your ales and put your lager into your fermenter? 

I've never used the timer Denny refers to, but I can imagine that it would work.

a10t2:
Brilliant! I hadn't even thought of an outlet timer. I should have plenty of time to get it dialed in too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version