General Category > Equipment and Software

Warming Fermenters a Few Degrees

<< < (2/4) > >>

denny:

--- Quote from: a10t2 on January 23, 2013, 01:33:35 PM ---Brilliant! I hadn't even thought of an outlet timer. I should have plenty of time to get it dialed in too.

--- End quote ---

I set mine to come on about 4-7 PM and go off 6-9 AM, depending on how cold it is.  Between that and the thermostat on the aquarium heater it works really well.

anje:

--- Quote from: kramerog on January 23, 2013, 01:33:07 PM ---Standard $ 25-35 aquarium heaters have temperature ranges that do not go much below 70 F.  The one I have theoretically goes down to 65 F but in fact goes down only as far as 67 F.  Maybe you could use a water bath for your ales and put your lager into your fermenter? 

--- End quote ---
I'm going to guess that if you get a smaller heater for the waterbath you use, it won't be capable of heating the whole volume to a full 70F.  Not sure if you'd risk burning it out doing that, though.

Edited to add: Aquarium heaters also usually are meant to be raising the tank temp above normal room temperature. If you've got this out in a 2C garage, you're sure to not be able to get the water bath as warm with a heater as you would in a 21C house.

a10t2:

--- Quote from: denny on January 23, 2013, 02:52:44 PM ---I set mine to come on about 4-7 PM and go off 6-9 AM, depending on how cold it is.  Between that and the thermostat on the aquarium heater it works really well.
--- End quote ---

My timer has enough little plastic bits for 3-4 on/off cycles a day, so with a few days to play I should be able to get it to fluctuate within a pretty narrow band.

I wonder if I should pick up an aquarium heater, or just use my 1500 W heat stick.  ;)

denny:

--- Quote from: a10t2 on January 23, 2013, 03:10:41 PM ---
--- Quote from: denny on January 23, 2013, 02:52:44 PM ---I set mine to come on about 4-7 PM and go off 6-9 AM, depending on how cold it is.  Between that and the thermostat on the aquarium heater it works really well.
--- End quote ---

My timer has enough little plastic bits for 3-4 on/off cycles a day, so with a few days to play I should be able to get it to fluctuate within a pretty narrow band.

I wonder if I should pick up an aquarium heater, or just use my 1500 W heat stick.  ;)

--- End quote ---

Do you think the heat stick might be too much?  I guess it's a lot colder there than it is here, so between that and a timer it might be just the thing.

a10t2:
Running it for 15 min should heat 15 gal of water/beer by about 5°C, which is a pretty wide range, but not awful. If I can set it to run for 5-10 min instead, then that's perfect. I'll just have to take another look at my timer when I get home.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version