General Category > Beer Recipes

scaling down recipe gravity and late dry hop additions?

<< < (2/2)

topher.bartos:
It also depends a lot on your mash chemistry. More SO4 ions bring out more bitterness.

garc_mall:

--- Quote from: erockrph on January 23, 2013, 06:45:44 PM ---I don't know if there's a right answer to this. Your balance between malt and hops is going to be drastically different on a 1.051 beer vs a 1.092 beer if you use the same amount of flavor and aroma hops. Dry hops will act a bit different in a 9% beer vs a 5% one as well. If it were me, I wouldn't scale down the hops as far as you scaled the bittering hops, but I'd probably roll them back maybe 20-25%.

With that said, you'd be fine leaving the late additions the same, but the resulting beer will probably end up a bit more hop-forward than the original. You could probably counter that a bit by bumping up the percentage of Munich, Victory and Crystal malt a bit in your scaled-down recipe.

And +1 to increasing the mash temp to leave a bit more body.

--- End quote ---

I agree with this, but I like hops, so I feel like a bit more hop-flavor-forward is never a bad thing.

then again, I haven't made a "gratuitous waste of hops IPA" so what do I know?  :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version