Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast nutrient  (Read 11392 times)

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
Re: Yeast nutrient
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 08:46:07 am »
Lately my S 05 has been having a really long lag time. I started using the Wyeast Nutrient Blend and am getting activity about 12 hours after pitching with that same yeast. So now I am going to start using it in everything I do. Because I have definitely seen where it makes a difference.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 09:06:22 am »
I was useing it always and recently stopped because I was getting heavy handed with it. I started to taste it in really delicate beers like kolsche. I add some to big beers with 15 minutes left (1/2 tsp or so). And if I was planning on repitching the yeast I might well add a little to help the yeast build reserves
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 09:09:16 am »
I was useing it always and recently stopped because I was getting heavy handed with it. I started to taste it in really delicate beers like kolsche. I add some to big beers with 15 minutes left (1/2 tsp or so). And if I was planning on repitching the yeast I might well add a little to help the yeast build reserves
What's it taste like?  I can't believe I've never just tasted some. I use it in every starter and most boils closer to 1/8 of a tsp and even less for the starters. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 09:18:57 am »
What's it taste like?  I can't believe I've never just tasted some. I use it in every starter and most boils closer to 1/8 of a tsp and even less for the starters.

At that level you probably wouldn't taste it. I was rushing to get a batch of kolsche ready for a comp. I only had 3.5 weeks from brew to judging so I used maybe 2tsp or even a little more in 30 litres. It finished and dropped clear in time (at least with a few days at 34*) and did well enough in the comp but the judges notes and my own tastes both found a certain harsh mineral/chemical quality that I am pretty sure came from the nutrient.

This time around I didn't add any but I have more like 6 weeks to let this one do it's thing. so we will see how that goes.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 10:10:40 am »
I recommend a complete nutrient like Wyeast Nutrient Blend for all your beers, but especially if the yeast is being repitched.

How and when would you add it?  In the starter?  Or to the wort?

I must have two or three bottles of nutrient that I've never used and recently bought a bottle figuring I should use it and not remembering that I have several already...
You can go either way, starter or in the boil.  I put it in the last 15 minutes of the boil, but I don't make starters and am repitching fresh yeast slurry.  If I were to make a starter, I might throw a little in there but mostly it is just in the boil.

I use the Wyeast also.  A pinch in the starter and the recommended 1/2 tsp. per 5 gal. at 10 min. to flameout in the boil.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 07:09:06 pm »
Wow!  1/2 a teaspoon might be pushing it ... maybe not for big beers though.  I made a 5wall gallon batch of .060 using 1/2 tsp and it made the beer taste like vegemite(sp?)   

Yeck... an acquired taste I guess... and I don't want to acquire it.  Lol!

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2013, 05:38:56 am »
Wow!  1/2 a teaspoon might be pushing it ... maybe not for big beers though.  I made a 5wall gallon batch of .060 using 1/2 tsp and it made the beer taste like vegemite(sp?)   

I'm not sure what made the beer taste like vegemite but I'm pretty sure it wasn't the yeast nutrient.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2013, 09:14:24 am »

Good to see ya, man!  You must have been using a different nutrient than I am.  There is no discernable taste from 1/2 tsp.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline donsmitty

• Assistant Brewer
  • Colchester, CT
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2013, 06:45:45 pm »
So I was at my local Brew and Wine Hobby store today to pick up some supplies and since I am planning on my first all-grain, I asked about yeast nutrient/energizer and both owners looked at me and kind of smiled and said, we have never used it and it.  They both said it was not necessary as the yeast would get all it needs from the grains being mashed.  So I didn't buy any.  But I keep asking myself, what harm would be it be to add a little nutrient/energizer to the pot.  Almost like baseball players using performance enhancing drugs...  after all, I want that yeast to over perform in that fermentor.  What do you all think?  Use it or not?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
Yeast nutrient
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2013, 06:48:05 pm »
So I was at my local Brew and Wine Hobby store today to pick up some supplies and since I am planning on my first all-grain, I asked about yeast nutrient/energizer and both owners looked at me and kind of smiled and said, we have never used it and it.  They both said it was not necessary as the yeast would get all it needs from the grains being mashed.  So I didn't buy any.  But I keep asking myself, what harm would be it be to add a little nutrient/energizer to the pot.  Almost like baseball players using performance enhancing drugs...  after all, I want that yeast to over perform in that fermentor.  What do you all think?  Use it or not?

I started using it in the kettle a few years ago for the reason you mention...cheap insurance.  I think maybe it helps, but I can't say for sure.  I know it doesn't hurt and it's inexpensive to use.  In addition, since I've already got it, I add it to starters.  I rhink that may have more value even than adding it to the kettle.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2013, 07:31:42 pm »

Some types of yeast nutrient comes from autolyzed yeast, which is where vegemite comes from.  In fact, I was at a brewery and they pulled some yeast from the bottom of a conical and added it to the boil to create their own yeast nutrient.  I'm planning to do the same from my fermenter this weekend.  When did you put in the yeast nutrient, Dean?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2013, 07:39:35 pm »
Wort is deficient in zinc.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline donsmitty

• Assistant Brewer
  • Colchester, CT
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2013, 07:53:25 pm »

I started using it in the kettle a few years ago for the reason you mention...cheap insurance.  I think maybe it helps, but I can't say for sure.  I know it doesn't hurt and it's inexpensive to use.  In addition, since I've already got it, I add it to starters.  I rhink that may have more value even than adding it to the kettle.

Denny, are you using a nutrient or an energizer?  Brand name?  Thanks.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
Yeast nutrient
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2013, 07:56:20 pm »

I use Wyeast nutrient.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2013, 09:12:09 pm »

Nutrient is like a nice smoked turkey and roasted red pepper sandwich on whole wheat bread for your yeast. Promotes good health. Their cell is their temple.

Energizer is like meth.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 07:34:45 am by mtnrockhopper »
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958