General Category > General Homebrew Discussion

Yeast nutrient

<< < (2/7) > >>

kramerog:
I have a generic "yeast nutrient" that supplies nitrogen and phosphorous.  I have a generic "yeast energizer" that supplies vitamins and trace minerals including zinc.  Generally, I don't use either except for meads.  I might use the energizer for my next saison that uses the finicky Dupont yeast, which I have not worked with before, and for very big beers, which need more zinc apparently.

Joe Sr.:

--- Quote from: tschmidlin on January 24, 2013, 12:52:03 PM ---I recommend a complete nutrient like Wyeast Nutrient Blend for all your beers, but especially if the yeast is being repitched.

--- End quote ---

How and when would you add it?  In the starter?  Or to the wort?

I must have two or three bottles of nutrient that I've never used and recently bought a bottle figuring I should use it and not remembering that I have several already...

davidgzach:
I use it in every brew as well.  Cheap insurance as already stated.  I add with Whirfloc and my IC at 10 minutes left in the boil.

Dave

ynotbrusum:

--- Quote from: davidgzach on January 24, 2013, 02:01:21 PM ---I use it in every brew as well.  Cheap insurance as already stated.  I add with Whirfloc and my IC at 10 minutes left in the boil.

Dave

--- End quote ---

+1 every time, unless I forget - but I am repitching, almost always.  I am about 6-8 batches in with my WLP 800 and 34/70 batches.

Jimmy K:
"Yeast energizer" is probably DAP or diammonium phosphate, which is pretty much meth for yeast. It's great for getting yeast to finish a big beer, but it's not really what you want for yeast starter unless it also contains nutrients and/or yeast hulls. You're trying to build yeast health, not just get them to work faster/harder. Yeast hulls is just dead yeast which the yeast will scavenge for micronutrients. DAP really isn't helping in a low gravity starter wort which the yeast can easily ferment anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version