Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottling a Barleywine  (Read 3986 times)

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Bottling a Barleywine
« on: January 30, 2013, 06:42:26 am »
My first Barleywine is about ready to be bottled.  I used the WLB 037 yeast and it attenuated 88% from 1.100 to 1.012!  I'm at about 11.69% ABV. 

With this in mind, should I:

A) Rack and bottle as normal?
B) Rack, crash cool, and bottle as normal?
C) Rack, add some dry yeast and bottle?
D) Rack, crash cool, add some dry yeast and bottle?

Thanks!

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Bottling a Barleywine
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 07:22:18 am »
C has my vote.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 07:24:31 am »
E) Rack, rehydrate some dry yeast, add to beer and bottle.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 07:30:44 am »
E) Rack, rehydrate some dry yeast, add to beer and bottle.

Rehydrating was assumed, but you got me..... ::)

Also, when you add the yeast, what is the process?  Add, stir, bottle?  I've never needed to add yeast at bottling before.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 08:49:08 am »
I just bottled a barley wine.

I wracked to an clean sanitized co2 purged keg containing my priming sugar and .5 packets rehydrated yeast (if you do not have access to kegs you can skip to the next section)
I sealed the keg up, gave it a couple good shakes rattle roll to mix everything well
Then I bottled with a bottling wand stuck in the end of the cobra tap.

If you do not have kegs,

Add the priming sugar and yeast to the bucket before racking and let the first part of the syphon get a bit of a whirlpool going. Nice thing about a barley wine is that a tine amount of oxidation is not going to hurt you at all, it might even give that extra note of complexity that you want (key word here is TINY)

« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 08:50:52 am by morticaixavier »
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 08:52:14 am »
Adding the rehydrated yeast with your carbonation sugar and then mix.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 08:53:31 am »

I wracked to an clean sanitized co2 purged keg containing my priming sugar and .5 packets rehydrated yeast (if you do not have access to kegs you can skip to the next section)
I sealed the keg up, gave it a couple good shakes rattle roll to mix everything well

If you do not have kegs,

Add the priming sugar and yeast to the bucket before racking and let the first part of the syphon get a bit of a whirlpool going. Nice thing about a barley wine is that a tine amount of oxidation is not going to hurt you at all, it might even give that extra note of complexity that you want (key word here is TINY)

Mort,

I like the idea.  A little extra effort, but worth it I would say.  I'm waiting for my bottling wand to arrive in the mail.  I guess I'll wait a little longer before bottling.

Dave
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 08:56:37 am by davidgzach »
Dave Zach

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 09:13:59 am »

If you do not have kegs,

Mort,

I like the idea.  A little extra effort, but worth it I would say.  I'm waiting for my bottling wand to arrive in the mail.  I guess I'll wait a little longer before bottling.

Dave

Can't hurt to wait a little longer. How long has it been at terminal gravity? I like to leave big beers for as long as I can spare the space (at least a couple three extra weeks) before bottling as well.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 09:19:56 am »
It's been at FG for about a week, but I fermented it slow and steady at 63F.  I want to let it sit, but I have 4 fermenters tied up in my chest freezer with lagers and need to brew!  I'll try to be patient as I freed up a bucket the other night, kegging my AIPA.  That will at least get 5 gallons of something off of my to do list..... :D

It's at just about 3 weeks total.  I'm going to try and hold out for 4 weeks.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline gauzzastrip

• 1st Kit
    • BrewShuffle.com - Share your home brew
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 02:36:46 pm »
It's been at FG for about a week, but I fermented it slow and steady at 63F.  I want to let it sit, but I have 4 fermenters tied up in my chest freezer with lagers and need to brew!  I'll try to be patient as I freed up a bucket the other night, kegging my AIPA.  That will at least get 5 gallons of something off of my to do list..... :D

Dave
That sounds like a lot of brew!

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 02:50:04 pm »

Dave
That sounds like a lot of brew!

Hmmm.  Let's see.  I have 4 x 5G light lagers in primary, 5 x 5G ales kegged and conditioning, 2 on tap, 2 lagers in the fridge ready to go, the barlerywine ready to bottle and 4 cases of various high gravity brew.  I gues you are right now that I add it up!   ;D
Dave Zach

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 02:10:10 pm »

Mort,

I bottled today.  Cleaned and sanitized a keg, racked the Barleywine, added 3/4 cup of corn sugar, rehydrated 1/2 packet of US-05 and added.  Purged the headspace with CO2, turned down the pressure to about 5psi and filled bottles with my new growler filler that hooks up to my tap. 

This was by far the most enjoyable bottling experience I ever had.  Great idea!  This is now my new process whenever I bottle!

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 03:50:02 pm »
Cool! glad to here it went so well.
-A Einstein